#1 2017-06-26 07:33:12

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Branding environmentalism as macho

In her recent comic, Jen Sorensen suggests that the way we counter the idea that environmentalism is a sissy idea is to rebrand it as macho.  It reminds me of Rip Esselstyn's efforts to promote vegetarianism:  Vegetarians have long sought to show that plant-based diets were "just as good" as omnivorous ones, but Esselstyn instead took the offensive, being a big, hulking guy ranting on TV about eating "PLANT-STRONG!"

Sorensen's comic is excerpted below, here's the full version.

sorensen.gif

#2 2017-07-17 10:57:26

RedFalcon

Re: Branding environmentalism as macho

We definitely need to do a better job with branding.  Here's one example I just saw in the recent Austin Mobility email.   The section was about pedestrian improvement made to the death trap also known as Lamar/Parmer:

Improvements at Parmer and Lamar include:
Reconstructed right-turn islands at the northwest and southeast corners of the intersection to facilitate “smart” right turns.
High-visibility continental crosswalks at all pedestrian crossing points.
Sidewalks at the northwest and northeast corners of the intersection.
A new traffic signal on Lamar Boulevard at the Walmart driveway.
A new pedestrian hybrid beacon at John B. Connally High School.

I suggest that we replace the French sounding 'continental crosswalk' with 'freedom crosswalk'.  Also , this is America.  Let's not go with 'smart'.  'Smart' is for European intellectual elitist panzies who read books without pictures.  Here, we need to try something like 'John Wayne right turns', or maybe 'Ronald Reagan right turns'.   Also, John B. Connally is right across the street from a Car Max.  Let's replace 'pedestrian hybrid' with 'future automobile owner'.   

I'm sure there are lots of other rewordings we could try.

#3 2017-07-17 11:20:35

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Branding environmentalism as macho

I like it!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 13 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.55 KiB (Peak: 533.18 KiB) ]