#1 2016-10-07 10:31:51

Donald Lewis

Sorry Austin, Portland bike facilities make Austin look pitiful!

Recently went on vacation to Portland for a week and was blessed with no rain!  I did a little riding on my own and went on three Meetup group rides.  I was highly impressed with an extensive network of bike only smooth asphalt highways that spanned considerable distance all over the city.  Well over 50% of our riding was on these.  Where these crossed streets with moderate or less traffic the bike boulevard had the stop signs and not the street.  However -- which took a little getting used to -- the cars would inevitably stop until the bikes passed.  Friendly waves would be exchanged.  Traffic control at complex downtown intersections was very sophisticated with lots of green bike-only boxes to protect from right hooks. 

And they had good light rail.  Carry your bike into the railcar no problem.

We have such a long way to go, I wonder if we will ever get there give what ROW costs now.

Will be vacationing there again!

Don in Austin

#2 2016-10-07 14:48:31

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Sorry Austin, Portland bike facilities make Austin look pitiful!

It sounds like the drivers there are better too, not just the facilities.

Austin has a loooong way to go before it truly *earns* the title of "bike-friendly".

#3 2016-10-07 18:44:43

Donald Lewis

We got yelled at one time  -- without justification IMHO.  But at least the girl did not attempt vehicular assault.  Mostly drivers were very respectful of us.  That said, it was almost nowhere put to the test of having to ride without a bike lane, if not a dedicated asphalt path.

Don in Austin

#4 2016-10-08 11:57:56

ecloera

Don -

Thanks for update on my former home. We moved from Portland to Austin 11 years ago. We didn't own a car there because we didn't need to.
We rode our bikes, used Trimet and the streetcars quite a bit.
We actually don't own a car now either. In all fairness we live in Central Austin close to quite a number of amenities. I hope Austin can realize the multi-modal transportation system sooner than later. For now my wife and I always ask for more frequent bus schedules. Every time we go in front of a CapMetro or city associated transportation group, we always state our names and where we moved from and inevitably we hear a sigh.. they're tired of being compared to Portland and when are we going to be more like Portland.

#5 2016-10-10 11:18:32

rmonsees

I lived in Austin for 15 years, and just moved to Portland a year ago.  There is more bike infrastructure here, but the biggest difference is the attitude of the drivers.  It took me a while to get used to cars giving me the right-of-way even when I wasn't legally entitled to it.  Still have to watch for inattentive drivers, just like anywhere else, but the level of aggression towards cyclists is much lower here.

Rod

#6 2016-10-10 21:42:06

Donald Lewis

rmonsees wrote:

I lived in Austin for 15 years, and just moved to Portland a year ago.  There is more bike infrastructure here, but the biggest difference is the attitude of the drivers.  It took me a while to get used to cars giving me the right-of-way even when I wasn't legally entitled to it.

Indeed!  You might as well go and take advantage of it because they WON'T go until its clear!  I always tried to make a point of acknowledging their offer.

rmonsees wrote:

Still have to watch for inattentive drivers, just like anywhere else, but the level of aggression towards cyclists is much lower here.

Rod

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.7 KiB (Peak: 540.32 KiB) ]