#1 2014-12-01 13:35:45

Darron

Man charged in hit-and-run that broke cyclist's leg(11/30/14 W.Parmer)

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/crime/20 … /19529319/
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crim … ist/njGgr/

"a police officer found a cyclist with a broken leg laying in the middle of the road in the 11000 block of West Parmer Lane on Sunday evening. The affidavit states that witnesses said they saw a white BMW leave the scene of the crash. The car was later spotted in Round Rock."

Pretty popular stretch of road for cyclists.  Glad witnesses stuck around and the police caught the guy.

D

Edit: added the Statesman article link.

Last edited by Darron (2014-12-02 09:10:38)

#2 2014-12-01 15:16:52

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Man charged in hit-and-run that broke cyclist's leg(11/30/14 W.Parmer)

Thanks for posting this.

I looked it up on Google Maps.  There's a wide, paved shoulder, which should be enough to keep cyclists safe if cars will just stay in their lane.  Makes me wonder if the collision was actually at the intersection, or if the driver hit the cyclist intentionally.

I wonder if there's a correlation between the type of vehicle and whether the driver hits and runs.  I'm guessing that the chances increase if the car is a BMW, sports car, or SUV.  It definitely seems that drivers of those kinds of vehicles break more laws, though it's possible I'm just seeing what I expect to see.

There seem to be all kinds of collisions at that intersection (e.g., car-car, not just car-bike).  Two people were killed there in a single crash earlier this year.  Looky what you get when you search Google for 11000 block of West Parmer Lane.

#3 2014-12-01 20:44:35

RedFalcon

MichaelBluejay wrote:

I wonder if there's a correlation between the type of vehicle and whether the driver hits and runs.  I'm guessing that the chances increase if the car is a BMW, sports car, or SUV.  It definitely seems that drivers of those kinds of vehicles break more laws, though it's possible I'm just seeing what I expect to see.

I have not conducted a scientific study, but when I see a BMW approaching, I get ready hit the ditch.  Lexus drivers come in a close second, in my book. I have not noticed as much bad driving behaviour from Mercedes Benz drivers.   Big SUVs are pretty bad, but I have had quite a few near death experiences with the smaller crossover SUVs.   The best drivers generally seem to be people who drive for a living - truck drivers, bus drivers, utility vehicle drivers etc.

But remember, it's always the fault of the cyclist, you know, because a hipster once blew through a stop sign and so cyclists don't really deserve respect.

Last edited by RedFalcon (2014-12-01 20:45:17)

#4 2014-12-02 14:33:03

RedFalcon

OK, I have to add work trucks to the bad list.  I was nearly hit twice today.  First time was crossing Parmer in the crosswalk when I had a green light.  I was walking my dogs.  A truck tore around the corner and nearly hit us.  It happens almost every time there, so I was expecting it and got out of the way.   

Second time was riding home a few minutes ago.  Driver came flying up to the stop sign and did not look like he was going to stop.  It was a kind of blind spot, but I heard the truck and again was expecting stupidity.  I held up my hand to indicate STOP, but he took it badly and thought it would be a good idea to chase me down the road and try to run me over.  I hopped on the sidewalk to get away.  Then he yells out the window that it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk.  Funny, because usually this kind of dim wit expects us to stay on the side walk and out of the way.   I made a few suggestions to him, one of which was to call the police and ask them to come out and sort it out.  He took off after making a few more threats.

I hate cycling.  I used to like it.  But I really don't anymore.  I never ride just for fun on the weekends anymore.  It is enough to commute to work and run errands.  In fact, I really don't like Austin, especially north Austin.  It's just a suburban wasteland that looks like every other car dependent cesspool city in this country.  I guess cycling downtown is a little easier maybe - there are more cyclists, which makes it safer, but up here it is crap.

Thank you for listening - I feel a little better.  I still have another errand to run today, though.

#5 2014-12-02 15:02:50

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

You're right.  I feel your pain.  Let's all remember things like this whenever anyone tries to pass Austin off as a "bike-friendly city".

#6 2014-12-04 22:08:09

Darron

RedFalcon wrote:

OK, I have to add work trucks to the bad list.  I was nearly hit twice today.  First time was crossing Parmer in the crosswalk when I had a green light.  I was walking my dogs.  A truck tore around the corner and nearly hit us.  It happens almost every time there, so I was expecting it and got out of the way.   

Second time was riding home a few minutes ago.  Driver came flying up to the stop sign and did not look like he was going to stop.  It was a kind of blind spot, but I heard the truck and again was expecting stupidity.  I held up my hand to indicate STOP, but he took it badly and thought it would be a good idea to chase me down the road and try to run me over.  I hopped on the sidewalk to get away.  Then he yells out the window that it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk.  Funny, because usually this kind of dim wit expects us to stay on the side walk and out of the way.   I made a few suggestions to him, one of which was to call the police and ask them to come out and sort it out.  He took off after making a few more threats.

I hate cycling.  I used to like it.  But I really don't anymore.  I never ride just for fun on the weekends anymore.  It is enough to commute to work and run errands.  In fact, I really don't like Austin, especially north Austin.  It's just a suburban wasteland that looks like every other car dependent cesspool city in this country.  I guess cycling downtown is a little easier maybe - there are more cyclists, which makes it safer, but up here it is crap.

Thank you for listening - I feel a little better.  I still have another errand to run today, though.

Sorry to hear about you day.  Those encounters always ruin my week.  The last one I had was a lady laying on her horn behind me then zooming around me, pulling into a parking lot to wait for me to pass so she could do it again then pull next to me and turn into my bike to try to force me to stop.  Her reasoning: she really thought I should be cycling in the sidewalk (I had my son in a trailer and it was a neighborhood street).  I must admit I had some choice words for her.

You are right it does feel better to vent!

D

#7 2014-12-05 10:14:20

WesternTrails

I have had a different experience.  In my commute from South Austin to downtown, I exercise additional caution and watchfulness in areas with more low-income housing.  Any harassment I've experienced has come from run-down vehicles.    I actually think that in broad stretches of the Austin population  - the generally progressive, affluent, urban population that exists in much of 78704 -  there is broad consensus that cycling for transportation is a good thing.   But outside of that bubble - in the difficult-and-getting-harder Austin of day laborers, landscapers, and cleaners - that concept is totally alien.    You're not even seen.

#8 2014-12-12 11:10:38

Jack

RedFalcon wrote:
MichaelBluejay wrote:

I have not conducted a scientific study, but when I see a BMW approaching, I get ready hit the ditch.  Lexus drivers come in a close second, in my book. I have not noticed as much bad driving behaviour from Mercedes Benz drivers.   Big SUVs are pretty bad, but I have had quite a few near death experiences with the smaller crossover SUVs.   The best drivers generally seem to be people who drive for a living - truck drivers, bus drivers, utility vehicle drivers etc.

But remember, it's always the fault of the cyclist, you know, because a hipster once blew through a stop sign and so cyclists don't really deserve respect.

This TED report reminded me of this post:  http://www.npr.org/2014/04/04/295360962 … e-you-mean refers to study comparing drivers by cost of the cars driven.

(Fixed link. --Ed.)

#9 2016-04-04 12:28:35

owlman

Matthew Teifke pleaded guilty this year to leaving the scene of an accident causing injury (3rd degree felony).

10 years probation + 400 hours community service, with deferred adjudication (so I guess he has a chance to wipe it from his record after 10 years)

http://judicialrecords.wilco.org/CaseDe … ID=1606175

#10 2016-04-04 12:40:51

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

owlman, thank you very much for keeping us apprised about the various cases.  It's exactly the kind of thing I wish I had more time to do.

Anyway, in this case...no jail time, and not even a fine.  Hit someone, break their leg, leave the scene, third degree felony, and the result?  No fine, no jail time.  Nothing changes.

#11 2016-04-05 13:56:45

owlman

No problemo, happy to help.  (well, I'm not exactly happy to read the outcomes of many of these cases...)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 581.48 KiB (Peak: 597.07 KiB) ]