#1 2008-10-22 14:31:49

Chuck_McNeil

Cycling with headphones. Opinions?

My buddy wears his Ipod when he rides solo.  He got sideswiped a couple of days ago.  I told him he prolly wouldn't have gotten hit if he didn't have the Ipod.
Any opinions on riding the streets with headphones?
I'm pretty sure he's gonna get a mirror now, but won't stop rocking the headphones.

#2 2008-10-23 08:40:12

paulsjv

Re: Cycling with headphones. Opinions?

I would never wear headphones while riding just like I never wear headphones when I drive.  Just seems pretty dangerous because you can't hear anything coming your way! eek!

#3 2008-10-23 11:03:07

jmayson

I absolutely will not wear headphones/earbuds while cycling.  Safety is one reason.  But another is I ride because I like being out in nature.  Okay, Parmer Lane might not be nature, but I want to hear things.  Just this morning someone yelled "Go Lance!" to me.  Another reason is if I am hit I'm certain the driver and police will dismiss the whole thing because I had headphones on, even if the crash wasn't my fault.

#4 2008-10-23 19:31:24

dougmc
Administrator

I don't see where it's any more dangerous than driving in your car with the stereo on at a volume that sounds similarly loud.  It's not like the earbuds block the sound to any significant degree.  Of course, if the volume is high enough, it'll drown out sounds around you -- but you get the same effect in your car if you turn the stereo up.

#5 2008-10-24 09:27:23

plarson

One key point: in a car you are relatively safe, with tons of other steel cages riding around you. If you don't hear a car coming, or a another bicyclist coming from behind you, then you are more likely to get hit or piss some other cyclist off because you can't hear them.  It would be different if you were actually deaf. You don't realize what you miss when you are huddled in your stereo. You become just like all the rest of the cars out there, oblivious to the outside world. It really is more dangerous.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.14 KiB (Peak: 531.77 KiB) ]