#1 2013-10-01 09:25:16

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Two women cyclists struck by hit-and-run driver on S. 1st

A white sedan hit two women cyclists around the 1100 block of S. 1st St. near the Texas School for the Deaf on Sunday night.  The cyclists had lights.  Police are looking for a white sedan missing its right-side mirror.

One of the women was visiting from Toronto.  Now she has a great impression of Austin.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Hit--Run-victi … l?ref=prev

#2 2013-10-02 08:30:58

AusTexMurf

Re: Two women cyclists struck by hit-and-run driver on S. 1st

MichaelBluejay wrote:

A white sedan hit two women cyclists around the 1100 block of S. 1st St. near the Texas School for the Deaf on Sunday night.  The cyclists had lights.  Police are looking for a white sedan missing its right-side mirror.

One of the women was visiting from Toronto.  Now she has a great impression of Austin.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Hit--Run-victi … l?ref=prev

Really sucks. So glad that neither woman was seriously hurt. I know another woman who was hit in that exact same area. Too much auto traffic and drivers are oftentimes in a hurry, impaired, or possibly worse, on some electronic device.

But,

Here is the other thing......

The two girls in the story, and my neighbor that I mentioned......

Are all novice, slow cyclists.
Why ride S 1st at all when you can ride S 5th, Bouldin, or even Congress ? All much friendlier bike routes.

Although, when I am by myself, I do ride S 1st in to town, the whole way, from Stassney, in.....
Because I want the drivers to still acknowledge us and be somewhat accustomed to cyclists' presence on S 1st.

But,

When I do ride S 1st, I

Take The Whole Lane

and run it at

20+ MPH !!!!!

P.S.
Still sucks. S 1st needs to go on an auto traffic diet. Less cars, slower.
Protected bike lanes ???
All the way from Ben White across the bridge to downtown to Guadalupe/Lavaca ???

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-10-02 21:26:15)

#3 2013-10-08 22:39:29

owlman

Re: Two women cyclists struck by hit-and-run driver on S. 1st

AusTexMurf wrote:

Why ride S 1st at all when you can ride S 5th, Bouldin, or even Congress ? All much friendlier bike routes.

Perhaps they're not familiar with S Austin streets.  Even if they checked the COA Bike map, that shows no marking on S 1st so they might think it should be a relatively peaceful neighborhood street.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.69 KiB (Peak: 532.31 KiB) ]