#1 2008-09-23 14:49:24

brianf

North Lamar Transit Center Accessibility

I'm wanting to start a partial bike commute to work (ride from Far West Blvd. to N. Lamar Park & Ride, take bus to Tech Ridge), but when mapping out the route on Google, I saw that the North Lamar Transit Center does not look bike friendly. Anyone have any tips on navigating the quagmire that is the N. Lamar/Research Blvd./Anderson Lane intersection? Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-09-24 09:23:21

bikelane

Re: North Lamar Transit Center Accessibility

I think this is how I'd try it ...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2288246

Once you get to Lamar, I think there are sidewalks that will take you all the way to the park-n-ride.  I don't normally recommend sidewalk riding, but this might be one of those occasions where it makes little sense, but more sense than the alternatives.  You might gauge the right lane of Lamar for the short stretch to the 183 feeder and see if it's reasonably OK (maybe during a break in traffic ... ?).

The problem with the sidewalk will be worse when heading home.  Have to be really careful watching for folks turning across it into parking lots, etc.  You might consider taking the sidewalk all the way north up the feeder to Jamestown.

Give it a whirl.  I suspect it's not as bad as you're probably thinking.  The first 3/4ths of that commute is really nice.

-Lane

#3 2008-09-24 22:04:38

brianf

Thanks for the link, Lane--that looks like a smart alternative to my first route, which would have had me riding/walking through at least four crosswalks to get across Research and Anderson. Now that I think about it, though, I don't *have* to catch the bus at the transit center. The 1L and 1M both go to Tech Ridge, and there's a stop at Lamar and Morrow. Google's satellite image of that intersection doesn't look too gnarly, so I may consider that as well.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=30.3 … 3&t=h&z=19

Out of curiousity, any reason you picked Shoal Creek up to Foster rather than Great Northern? Is Shoal Creek a better ride? Thx.

#4 2008-09-25 13:17:30

bikelane

The bike facility on Great Northern (the two-way lanes on the west side of the road) is, in my opinion, abysmal.  That kind of facility is contra-indicated in pretty much every situation.  In my experience, riding north on Great Northern is the worst, since you either are faced with riding between lanes of on-coming traffic, or taking the north-bound traffic lane.  Unfortunately, local residents make matters worse by exhibiting open hostility and aggression toward cyclists on G.N.  And, of course, the "bike lanes" are frequently populated by joggers, walkers, dogs, kids, etc.  Not that I necessarily begrudge any of them their use of the lanes, but it does make for a more difficult situation.

I typically train on Great Northern, but I only ride south-bound (using SCB to loop back to the north end), and I'm frequently riding fast enough that I can take the south-bound lane for most of the way and not impede traffic, dodging into the "bike lane" when I need to.

Shoal Creek Blvd., while cars parked in the parking lanes make things slightly more challenging/dangerous, is generally a pretty straight-forward commute, regardless of which direction you go.

Hope this helps.

#5 2008-09-25 13:55:57

Jason
Website

It's pretty easy to navigate that intersection, especially during traffic as it's a long light and is easy to get between cars. This is how I'd do it, taking Lane's suggestion and modifying it past Tisdale:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2291498

There's a slightly illegal jog to get from Anderson to the U-turn lane on Research, but it's really not hard to get to and made even easier when the light stops traffic. I live over there and go through that intersection all the time, it's easy.

Jason

#6 2008-09-25 17:20:46

dhan

the 101 bus now goes up to tech ridge in the mornings and evenings.  I'd suggest picking it or the 1M/1L up at Justin
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2291958

#7 2008-09-25 21:22:21

chuckthomas

Lane's route is nice. I would modify it a bit to take Great Northern and ignore the stupid bike lane paint.  I would also make some changes at the end to cross 183 at Lamar.  There's plenty of room to hop up on the sidewalks when you need to and traffic is usually pretty slow there.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2292321

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 544.41 KiB (Peak: 545.04 KiB) ]