#1 2013-05-24 06:24:03

bizikletari

Pleasent Valley may get bike lanes

Our faint of heart journalist reports cycling in Austin may become a notch easier on Pleasent Valley.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo … orn/nX2Yn/

#2 2013-05-24 12:00:13

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Pleasent Valley may get bike lanes

It's sort of a pity.  The sidewalks would be perfectly adequate (and in fact better than adequate, being that they're fully separated from the road) if only they were somewhat wider.

Had they made the bridge four to six feet wider and given each sidewalk two or three more feet, they wouldn't have to give up two lanes --- probably 22 or so feet worth -- for bike lanes.

While I certainly do prefer bike lanes to sidewalks, bike lanes on bridges seem extra dangerous (if Congress and South First are any indication) and the protected nature of the sidewalk might be a win here.

But yeah, as it stands ... the sidewalks are too narrow for bicycles.

#3 2013-05-24 12:31:55

Donald Lewis

dougmc wrote:

It's sort of a pity.  The sidewalks would be perfectly adequate (and in fact better than adequate, being that they're fully separated from the road) if only they were somewhat wider.

Had they made the bridge four to six feet wider and given each sidewalk two or three more feet, they wouldn't have to give up two lanes --- probably 22 or so feet worth -- for bike lanes.

While I certainly do prefer bike lanes to sidewalks, bike lanes on bridges seem extra dangerous (if Congress and South First are any indication) and the protected nature of the sidewalk might be a win here.

But yeah, as it stands ... the sidewalks are too narrow for bicycles.

I ride the sidewalk, but if I see someone approaching, whether pedestrian(s) or cyclist(s), I stop and squeeze over to the side and wait until they have passed -- what I do on most any sidewalk, unless there is grass or one way or another there is plenty of room to go around.  Sidewalk riding is as safe as you choose to make it.  If you choose to haul ass, it is next to impossible to ride safely on most sidewalks.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Donald Lewis (2013-05-24 13:03:22)

#4 2013-05-24 12:56:17

bizikletari

Until recently my wife had to ride Pleasant Valley on her commute to work. Being a cyclist she would always «take the lane», and that would make me nervous on a daily basis. I am glad she changed jobs.

So far there is an idea to produce a plan that may become a project to build a bike lane there. A bit too much in the future for my comfort zone.

#5 2013-05-25 09:16:04

AusTexMurf

Woohoo!
But, hurry up, already.......long time coming.
Congress ???

#6 2013-05-27 03:42:20

rich00

It's not just the bridge though. There is no bike lane or much of any shoulder along 45mph traffic until you get past Lakeshore. This is one of those roads where you chose one or the other, and don't switch over.

They really should just move the jersey barrier into the street, restrip the lanes and you'd have a sidewalk wide enough on the west side which sees much more bike traffic.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.76 KiB (Peak: 536.38 KiB) ]