#1 2013-02-14 09:59:46

AusTexMurf

Comments in The American Statesman on Bicycles

Bicyclists breaking rules:
Our mayor and City Council decide to spend “more money” on another campaign, this time $700,000 for “Safe Walk Safe Bike.” Don’t these folks have any common sense? Most of us know the problem is with bicyclists sharing roads with cars. Not the cars
Until they place the same requirements on bikers as we folks driving cars, nothing will change. The solution? Instruct APD to start handing out tickets to bikers who don’t follow the same rules us folks driving cars do. Create an annual inspection for bikes. None of the bikes I’ve seen riding our roads at night have enough lights in the front or rear of them so we can see them. We are required to wear seat belts; they are not. And, most of them don’t wear helmets. Enough already, OK?

Bob Varshal

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/opin … 913/nWKB9/

Moderator edit: Remove personal info

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-17 16:14:50)

#2 2013-02-14 14:34:46

Donald Lewis

Re: Comments in The American Statesman on Bicycles

AusTexMurf wrote:

Bicyclists breaking rules:
Our mayor and City Council decide to spend “more money” on another campaign, this time $700,000 for “Safe Walk Safe Bike.” Don’t these folks have any common sense? Most of us know the problem is with bicyclists sharing roads with cars. Not the cars
Until they place the same requirements on bikers as we folks driving cars, nothing will change. The solution? Instruct APD to start handing out tickets to bikers who don’t follow the same rules us folks driving cars do. Create an annual inspection for bikes. None of the bikes I’ve seen riding our roads at night have enough lights in the front or rear of them so we can see them. We are required to wear seat belts; they are not. And, most of them don’t wear helmets. Enough already, OK?

Bob Varshal

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/opin … 913/nWKB9/

Where can I get seat belts for my bikes?  Where should they be attached?

Don

#3 2013-02-15 00:49:24

dougmc
Administrator

Donald Lewis wrote:

Where can I get seat belts for my bikes?  Where should they be attached?

To Bob's back, of course.  As for where to get them, PepBoys probably has something that would work.  Or maybe the local BDSM shop.

I wonder if Bob also noticed that most motorists don't wear helmets either?

Bob's phone number and address don't seem to appear in the AAS link.  Did you add that yourself, AusTexMurf?  If so, to what end?  (I suspect I know the answer, but I'm not so sure it's appropriate.)

#4 2013-02-15 00:59:21

AusTexMurf

Travis County Tax Records.....public record
and to what end....
Personally, I was thinking of hand writing a thoughtful response and sending it to him via US snail mail.
He is entitled to his opinion, freedom of speech, and freedom of press to run it.
He felt strongly enough to state his position in our newspaper.
I feel strongly enough to respond to him in writing.
My message might be better received/heard with a different listening if presented via writing in mail.
I believe he is about 70 years old.
Also public information.

Maybe call him up and wish him Happy Valentine's ? Happy Birthday ?
Or ride by and wave if ever up north off Anderson Mill.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-15 01:01:23)

#5 2013-02-15 02:31:32

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

I went ahead and removed Mr. Varshal's personal info from the post.  Yes, I know that information is available publicly, somewhere, but Bicycle Austin doesn't have to aid and abet anyone who might want to harass this person.  Anyone who wants his contact info badly enough can look it up--as AusTexMurf did.

#6 2013-02-15 09:29:47

NadiaB

Yeah - I learned a long time ago not to read the opinions and comments on the City's projects.  It just tends to get me down.  I'm pretty excited about the Safe Bike/Safe Walk one though.  It isn't the millions of dollars that car companies get to show their new machines, but it's a step in the right direction.  One day I'd like to shoot a commercial of beautiful people on beautiful bicycles headed to a park or an event with cool music that looks just like a car commercial.  Bicycle Propaganda!  Anyway, the goal of this project is not only to encourage safe bicycling and walking, but to shift social norms and our culture to encourage people to bike, walk, take transit and drive safely.  Ideally we would be able to come up with a message/tag line along the lines of "Don't Mess with Texas" or "Turn Around Don't Drown" that is short, easy to remember and encourages safe bicycling/walking.  We are almost done with the first phase of the project, which involves two rounds of focus groups and an on-line survey.  The next phase will involve us hiring a marketing group that will develop a campaign for us that will meet our goals.  They will also develop a 10-year plan for getting that message out there.  So, there is still a lot of work to do. Look for the campaign to launch August 2014.

#7 2013-02-15 09:34:26

AusTexMurf

Gotcha. Although I think that I was misunderstood. I am a father raising 4 kiddos in Austin. My wife and I live by bicycle as much as possible. If my children are getting to their schools, their libraries, their grocery stores, etc., w/o the use of cars, I want their rights and safety as bicyclists and pedestrians recognized and even encouraged. I have cycled extensively for commuting, recreational road riding, mountain biking, and touring purposes for the last 27+ years. I have ridden pedicabs for the last 9 years. I have been a teacher in Austin public schools for 15+years. I have a vested interest in this topic and the Safe Walk, Safe Bike program. So yes, one can draft their own response to the editorials and submit it to the Statesman which might or might not run it. I doubt that will change Bob's opinion or anyone else's. Just set up another debate.

My point was that this is a 70+ year old man. I am handwriting him a polite and thoughtful letter, w/ pics of me, my wife, and my kids on bikes, in the bike lane, in our neighborhood. Perhaps I can help alter at least HIS outlook and perception of bicyclists, their rights, and their place in our urban transportation system.

Driving autos creates an insulated and separate reality for folks. It is easy to drive your car, getting to your destination as fast as other traffic will allow, drinking your latte and talking on your cell phone. Commuting by bike, or at least understanding some things about those that do, leads to empathy and consideration for others and an increased sense of community at large.

My two cents......

In other words, this guy may just be a grandpa living in the northern suburbs. Perhaps the best way to communicate a difference of opinion is with a thoughtful, old school letter delivered via US mail.

My apologies if this offended anyone.

Also, Michael......
Please remove the personal info from Donald's response and not just the OP.
Thanks,
Larry Murphy

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-15 12:09:55)

#8 2013-02-15 10:19:06

AusTexMurf

Ride. Have fun. Be safe. All. And thanks for the Bicycle Austin forum.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-16 22:58:05)

#9 2013-02-15 11:31:06

michaeln

I was sitting in my car and a driver clipped the mirror and drove off. Boy am I glad police are busy ticketing cyclists rather than the awful drivers. Who voted for this? Maybe 700K towards ticketing drivers for something other than speeding (i.e. texting, cutting people off to run them off of the road, or driving in the breakdown lane on MoPac) would be more productive.

Last edited by michaeln (2013-02-15 11:31:50)

#10 2013-02-15 12:38:14

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

AusTexMurf, I know that you meant no harm and that you had no intention of harassing Mr. Varshal.  I'm just concerned that others might not exercise good judgement -- or that they'll mistakenly think that Bicycle Austin is encouraging harassment by printing personal info.

#11 2013-02-15 13:00:11

AusTexMurf

I hear you. In fact, agree with you.
Best.

#12 2013-02-15 19:19:47

Donald Lewis

AusTexMurf wrote:

Travis County Tax Records.....public record
and to what end....
Personally, I was thinking of hand writing a thoughtful response and sending it to him via US snail mail.
He is entitled to his opinion, freedom of speech, and freedom of press to run it.
He felt strongly enough to state his position in our newspaper.
I feel strongly enough to respond to him in writing.
My message might be better received/heard with a different listening if presented via writing in mail.
I believe he is about 70 years old.
Also public information.

Maybe call him up and wish him Happy Valentine's ? Happy Birthday ?
Or ride by and wave if ever up north off Anderson Mill.

I wrote him a letter.  Tried to be civil.  Here it is.  Obviously, I am in italics.

Dear Bob:

I read your recent letter to the Statesman regards cyclist and safety issues and appreciate your being concerned and expressing your opinions.  As a cyclist and motorist both, please let me comment on a few points:

“Our mayor and City Council decide to spend “more money” on another campaign, this time $700,000

That sum is miniscule compared with the entire municipal budget or $$$ spend for motorized traffic.

for “Safe Walk Safe Bike.” Don’t these folks have any common sense? Most of us know the problem is with bicyclists sharing roads with cars. Not the cars.

I know no such thing.  The problem is with crappy infrastructure, SOME motorists and SOME cyclists.

Within the last year a cyclist wearing a helmet and riding 100% in compliance with the law was killed by a motorist on 360 who was speeding and had so little patience with traffic conditions that he decided to pass vehicular traffic on the shoulder.  This despite many signs on loop 360 advising the presence of cyclists.  I would call this a problem with the car.  No charges have been filed to the best of my knowledge.

Far too often lately, cyclists WITH LIGHTS AND HELMETS have been hit from behind and killed by cars. 

Until they place the same requirements

“Same requirements” doesn’t really make sense to me.  Should bikes be tested for emissions?  They are not the same as cars in myriad ways.

on bikers as we folks driving cars, nothing will change. The solution? Instruct APD to start handing out tickets to bikers who don’t follow the same rules us folks driving cars do.

If you would make yourself familiar with the specific circumstances of the cyclist fatalities in the year 2012, you would be hard-pressed to explain how a single one of them would have been prevented by a more aggressive program to ticket cyclists.

The majority of motorists’ infractions go unticketed as do the majority of cyclists’ infractions.  Driving 56 in a 55mph zone is illegal but NEVER ticketed.  Of course it is more a technical violation than one that seriously compromises the public safety.  A cyclist might argue the same for going through a stop sign after thoroughly checking for cross traffic.  Conversely, driving 85 in 55ph is egregiously stupid  and dangerous just as a cyclist is egregiously stupid who blows a red light playing “chicken” with motorists who have the right of way.   

The stupid actions of members of either class are not justification for lack of concern and respect for other members of the class.  I don’t like to drive in our entertainment district on a weekend evening because it is frequently impossible to proceed through a green light due to the mass of drunken pedestrians crossing in front of me on a “Don’t Walk.”  This does not make it a specific  pedestrian’s fault when a drunken motorist hops a curb and kills him while he is jogging on the Lady Bird Lake hike and bike trail – as happened recently.   

It is curious that people refer to “all you cyclists” much more than to “all you motorists” or “all you pedestrians” in a way that implies that every cyclist bears guilt for something arrogant or dangerous that he/she might never do, but a member of his group does.

. Create an annual inspection for bikes. None of the bikes I’ve seen riding our roads at night have enough lights in the front or rear of them so we can see them.

You have never seen me or my riding partners in that case.  Multiple bright headlights and taillights.  I certainly agree many cyclists are woefully underilluminated.

We are required to wear seat belts; they are not.

Is this a serious comment?  If so, I don’t get it.

And, most of them don’t wear helmets.

Many don’t.  I do, despite the fact that a helmet will only help my in a very specific circumstance of low to moderate head impact.  I feel every little bit helps.  Probably would be ideal to wear a helmet driving my car, also.

Enough already, OK?”

The problem is real.  No faction is comprised 100% of angels or devils and acknowledging that could be one small step towards mutual harmony and safety.

I look forward to discussing this with you if I have done a poor job of explaining myself or you feel I have done a poor job of understanding your points.

Donald Lewis
xxx /at/ xxxxxxxxx.com
512-xxx-xxxx

My personal info deleted per Michael's wishes expressed in the past.

#13 2013-02-16 00:31:02

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Thanks for sending that letter, Donald, it was quite excellent.

There's never been a rule against posting your *own* phone number here.  There used to be a rule against posting your own email address (since spambots would pick it up), but I put in some code to obfuscate email addresses, so anyone who wants to risk putting their own email address on a public forum is now welcome to.

#14 2013-02-16 23:45:36

AusTexMurf

Thanks for writing such an excellent response, Donald.  I am working on my letter to him this weekend. I do think you should send in a response to the Statesman as well. You are objective and well spoken. I also do not feel that Bob Varshal's comments are indicative of the opinions of the majority of people living in the more or less central Austin corridor. After all, his multiple property listings are in far north Austin and Cedar Park. Your opinion and the collective opinion of our larger community are very different than what he expressed, I  would hope. We are talking about the Safe Walk, Safe Bike program with an allotment of $700k. Very appreciated and encouraging, maybe a good start, but still, a drop in the bucket. It is a shame that he is the only one to publicly weigh in on this matter in the commentaries of the Statesman at this point. Perhaps many of us on the forum and in the Austin cycling community should respond in the Statesman.

I was also quite encouraged by pedestrian/cycling/transportation options, connectivity, and safety in todays lengthy and productive South Austin Combined Neighborhood planning/visioning workshop at Crockett HS. Representatives from city planning, parks and rec, watershed and drainage, bicycling, and traffic departments were in attendance, active, and receptive to community input. Bikeability, walkability, and connectivity within our zone of the city were big issues with the residents and the city employees. I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in planning our neighborhood's future and encouraged by the priorities of others in attendance.

Best.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-17 11:35:26)

#15 2013-02-17 09:35:34

Donald Lewis

The last time I wrote a letter to the Statesman they edited it in such a way that it offended many people.  I wrote about how pitiful it is to see people cruising around on Segways but said I was NOT referring to those who were in some way disabled such that a Segway gave them needed mobility.  They edited out my exclusion of the disabled and I got all kinds of bitter responses from people who had a relative with some kind of disability and used a Segway to get around.

Since then I have been reluctant to write a letter to the Statesman as I don't think there is any mechanism to require them to print what I said and meant or don't print my letter at all.

Hell, for all we know, Bob's letter made slightly more sense before the Statesman edited it!

Don in Austin

#16 2013-02-17 11:38:47

Donald Lewis

I just read and replied to an email from Bob.  I am glad I wrote to him.  He is far more reasonable than his letter to the Statesman would indicate and more than willing to engage in civil dialog.  Not that I agree with his thesis that bikes should have brakelights and be subject to official safety inspection, for one example, but he does understand that there is fault shared by all parties.

I believe there was an element of hyperbole with the sweeping statements he made in his letter to the Statesman.

I encourage anyone who can write him a polite letter to do so.

Don

#17 2013-02-17 11:49:53

AusTexMurf

Agreed. With you about Bob's letter and possibly with Bob as well. Perhaps the problem is indeed that cars sharing, or not sharing the roads with bikes and pedestrians. The solution is not seat belts for cyclists or only $700K on safe walking, safe biking. Perhaps the solution is to simply pare down the roads. Let the autos use the clogged major arterials and highways. Convert carefully considered neighborhood tributaries, interconnected, for pedestrians, bikes, unicycles, pedicabs, ebikes, mules, camels, wagons, whatever, and let the cars and drivers keep the clogged up Mopac and I35 routes, for now. Might cost a bit more than $700K, Bob.

As the sticker reads, "Visualize I35 as a hike and bike trail". Not realistic, but enticing nonetheless.

And helmets for motorists probably is an idea to consider. Glad you and Bob brought that up.

My bike and the other 10 in our stable are inspected regularly. Pressure good, drivetrain good, brakes good, no rattles, good rubber. What percentage of car drivers check and maintain their own machines, on a regular basis, versus bicyclists ? Not sure, here, but odds are in favor of the cyclist.

Also, why doesn't he ride the Cap Redline ? Isn't he the exact person we spent all that money on ? To get from North Austin and Cedar Park in to Central Austin via train without having to share the road with bikers or pedestrians. Has he considered this option ?

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-17 11:52:12)

#18 2013-02-17 14:35:50

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Ditto on the Statesman mutilating reader letters before printing them.  That's why I won't send letters to them any more.  See what they did to mine.

AusTexMurf wrote:

The solution is not seat belts for cyclists or only $700K on safe walking, safe biking. Perhaps the solution is to simply pare down the roads. Let the autos use the clogged major arterials and highways. Convert carefully considered neighborhood tributaries, interconnected, for pedestrians, bikes, unicycles, pedicabs, ebikes, mules, camels, wagons, whatever, and let the cars and drivers keep the clogged up Mopac and I35 routes, for now.

Hear, hear!

#19 2013-02-18 11:08:42

badgnome

Considering the fact that Texas does not make wearing a helmet mandatory (albeit with some exemptions) for motorcyclists I have to ask why cyclists are being singled out?

#20 2013-02-18 11:20:45

badgnome

NadiaB wrote:

Yeah - I learned a long time ago not to read the opinions and comments on the City's projects.  It just tends to get me down.  I'm pretty excited about the Safe Bike/Safe Walk one though.  It isn't the millions of dollars that car companies get to show their new machines, but it's a step in the right direction.  One day I'd like to shoot a commercial of beautiful people on beautiful bicycles headed to a park or an event with cool music that looks just like a car commercial.  Bicycle Propaganda!  Anyway, the goal of this project is not only to encourage safe bicycling and walking, but to shift social norms and our culture to encourage people to bike, walk, take transit and drive safely.  Ideally we would be able to come up with a message/tag line along the lines of "Don't Mess with Texas" or "Turn Around Don't Drown" that is short, easy to remember and encourages safe bicycling/walking.  We are almost done with the first phase of the project, which involves two rounds of focus groups and an on-line survey.  The next phase will involve us hiring a marketing group that will develop a campaign for us that will meet our goals.  They will also develop a 10-year plan for getting that message out there.  So, there is still a lot of work to do. Look for the campaign to launch August 2014.

I do agree that 80% of the comments are off-topic or fall under the Grandpa Simpson category, and that they also do get me down.  Still you may find insight there that you do not find in the cycling community which itself can be too insular. I would prefer not to see an Austin dominated by the Chris Rileys on one side and the Gerald Daughterys on the other with no one in the middle.

#21 2013-02-18 13:50:03

AusTexMurf

[MichaelBluejay]Ditto on the Statesman mutilating reader letters before printing them.  That's why I won't send letters to them any more.  See what they did to mine.

Wow. I wasn't aware of your letter or the link to the media issues and history. Lame.

Again, I have felt that there is more possibly for cycling and walking in the city's plans than I had previously given them credit. It seems as if bikeability/walkability is a major item on the agenda of the Combined South Austin Neighborhood Plan, which includes the Redd/Southwood, Emerald Forest, and Garrison Park areas. I am sure that connectivity with other zones in Austin is also part of the planning process. Another agenda item that I found very reassuring was increased traffic calming measures along busy connecting streets in our neighborhood, particularly those on the bike route. City planning, parks and rec representatives, PW connectivity, and even NadiaB (COA bicycling) were present and had exciting info and presentations to deliver.

And......many thanks, COA, for our excellent Bike Route maps, the new Regional bike map, many new bike lanes in our section of the city, and the possibility of more alternate/dedicated pedestrian/cycling only routes.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-18 13:50:28)

#22 2013-02-18 13:53:54

AusTexMurf

Donald Lewis wrote:

I just read and replied to an email from Bob.  I am glad I wrote to him.  He is far more reasonable than his letter to the Statesman would indicate and more than willing to engage in civil dialog.  Not that I agree with his thesis that bikes should have brakelights and be subject to official safety inspection, for one example, but he does understand that there is fault shared by all parties.

I believe there was an element of hyperbole with the sweeping statements he made in his letter to the Statesman.

I encourage anyone who can write him a polite letter to do so.

Don

Outstanding. Glad that you took the thought and time to open a dialogue with him.

Mine is on the way.

#23 2013-02-18 20:45:05

dougmc
Administrator

badgnome wrote:

Considering the fact that Texas does not make wearing a helmet mandatory (albeit with some exemptions) for motorcyclists I have to ask why cyclists are being singled out?

It doesn't make helmets mandatory for cyclists either (except for those under 18.  Well, that's a city ordinance, not state law, but same difference.)

That said, the (incorrect) notion that "you can't be safe on a bicycle without a helmet" is pretty well established, and suggestions that "maybe one should wear a helmet while they walk or drive" are generally responded to with "whatever" or "obviously, you aren't taking me seriously" even when the same arguments that suggest needing  a helmet while riding a bicycle also suggest needing one while walking and driving.

Basically, he's casting around looking for dirt.  Something about a cyclist offended him (perhaps somebody ran a stop sign?  Rode past him as he was stuck in traffic?  Didn't have lights that he felt were adequate?  Maybe a cyclist startled him?) and so he's casting around looking for things to use to punish cyclists as a whole.

Annual inspections wouldn't make much sense.  (Though it might have a very small impact on the brakeless fixies, making them put brakes on for at least a little while.)  Seat belts, even less.  (And he forgot the usual talking points of insurance, licenses, license plates and registration.)

He's largely right about lights, however -- I wouldn't say "all", but certainly, many cyclists either don't have lights or don't have lights that are good enough to make them clearly visible, even if they do satisfy the state law.

When he says "don't follow the same rules us folks driving cars do", does he mean inspections and seat belts?  If he's referring to running stop signs and red lights, well, motorists do that too, and both groups are ticketed for it when the police see the more flagrant violations.  Or maybe he believes that cyclists don't have to stop at stop signs and that's unfair?  That's not a particularly uncommon belief, even if wrong.

All in all, as cheesy as it sounds, it sounds like he's jealous of the cyclist's freedom.  It's not a freedom to break the law (some cyclists do, but so do some motorists) as many may claim, but it is a freedom from many of the costs of driving, often a freedom from much of the traffic one experiences while driving, from much of the drudgery of driving (maybe.  Some people enjoy driving, but many hate it.  But most who ride enjoy it -- or they wouldn't ride.)

As for why cyclists are singled out, it's likely because he doesn't identify with them -- he is not a cyclist.  Pedestrians may annoy him as well, but he's a pedestrian at least some of the time. Cyclists are more unusual, more rebels.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.016 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 649.86 KiB (Peak: 697.88 KiB) ]