#1 2008-09-02 01:42:36

admin
Administrator
Website

Call for Forum category suggestions

I'm kind of wary of adding many/any new categories to this web Forum, since there are quite a few already, and I'm worried about overwhelming people and making the proper category *harder* to find amid a whole plethora of them.

On the other hand, if the thing you want to post doesn't seem to fit well into any existing category, then that can be frustrating.

With that in mind, what category/ies do you think should be added?  Please post your suggestions here.

BTW, at Mike Librik's request I recently changed the name of the poster that sends webforum posts to the email list from "Forum Robot" to "Web Forum Digest".  And as of now, only the new posts in a thread get sent to the list.  (I used to send X number of previous posts for context, but not any more.)

#2 2008-09-02 10:14:35

plarson

Re: Call for Forum category suggestions

How about "For Sale". I know there is craigslist, but at least here, you have a login, and you know who's selling it. No creepy drug addicts selling cheap bikes for a fix. Only bike-related parts, nothing else.

#3 2008-09-02 20:53:04

chavela

Is there a reason we have to categorize?  Can't it just be "start new thread" or "comment on existing post"?  To me, the categories don't add value, and cloak the threads.  Other lists, I just scan the recent posts, see what new has come up, see what threads are sticky.  I don't need or miss categories.

Elizabeth

#4 2008-09-04 00:16:16

admin
Administrator
Website

plarson, would the "Equipment" category be a good place for things for sale?  That's how I always imagined that category -- all things equipment, both discussion and stuff for sale.

If so, should I rename it to "Equipment (Discussion & For Sale)" ?

Chavela, I understand the appeal of having just one big list, instead of categories.  For that reason, I'll be working on a hack to provide that to readers who want to see the forum that way.  That way people who want categories will have them, and those who don't want to go through categories to get to posts, won't have to.

The reasons some people prefer categories are so they can go only to the topics that interest them, and that when looking for an old topic, having them categorized makes it easier to find them.  Both these things will become even more important if this forum ever grows to be pretty big.  But, like I said, I understand the appeal of having all posts appear in a single list, and because of that, I'll eventually provide a way to see that.

Note that you can already do that for new posts.  There's a link on the bottom of the main page that says "Show new posts", which gives you a list of new posts all in one spot regardless of category.  Eventually I'll whip up a version that does that for all posts, not just new ones.

#5 2008-09-04 13:12:15

plarson

Maybe using sub-titles would work, but For Sale/Wanted is a good category. Equipment I did not even notice. So yes, maybe Equipment (For sale, wanted, discussion about parts, etc) would work. Make descriptions for each category. Thanks!

#6 2008-09-04 17:37:19

bikinpolitico
Website

I think a getting started section would be good for new people. This could be a place for collective wisdom and where newbies could ask questions.

Last edited by bikinpolitico (2008-09-04 17:37:26)

#7 2008-09-05 10:41:26

dougmc
Administrator

Talking about forum categories ... why does a bicycling forum have a `choo-choo' (train, it would seem) category?

I can see where an `Off topic/not bicycling' category might be good, but this seems awfully specific.  Unless you're referring to a bike meant to ride on train tracks -- I've seen a picture of that somewhere, but can't find it now.  Perhaps some trains can carry bikes ... but so can the existing buses, and they don't have their own category ...

`For Sale/Wanted' sounds like a good category, and it should be separate from `Equipment'.

Also, I'd not suggest posting as `admin'.  Who are you?  I'm guessing Michael, but that's only an educated guess.

#8 2008-09-06 09:11:50

damicoaustin
Website

I think it's a category because rail has a huge impact on development and it provides tremendous opportunities for planning for development that is bicycle friendly. Also, bicyclists would benefit greatly from rail, just for the opportunities to get around easily. And of course, there's the rails to trails potential.

#9 2008-09-12 02:18:00

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Okay, requests granted:

plarson, "Equipment" has now become "Equipment (Discussion, For Sale)".

bikinpolitico, I just added a "Getting started with biking" category as the very first one in the list, to help newbies.

chavela, you can now see all posts (the last two weeks' worth) on a single page, via the "All posts on one page" link at the top of each page.

dougmc, I think damicoaustin hit the nail on the head for why we have a Rail category -- it's fundamentally related to bike planning.  Also, it's there because some people want it.  As I write this, it's got more posts that "Traffic Laws", "Roadway Hazards", and "Organizations".  Of course, if it doesn't interest you, you don't have to read it. :)

By the way posting as "admin" earlier was just a mistake.  Sorry about that.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 2
[Bot] ClaudeBot (2)

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 549.6 KiB (Peak: 550.23 KiB) ]