#1 2008-09-01 23:25:14

redaunt

Manchaca / Slaughter

I live off of Manchaca road, 2 miles south of Slaughter.  This summer, I biked north on Manchaca to Central Market (Western Trails/Westgate) where I caught the bus to work (Oltorf & montopolis).  Now that the days are shorter, it is DARK when I need to leave the house.  I am just not sure about the safety of biking on Manchaca in the dark, where the speed limit is 55 mph.  An alternate route would be welcome or if someone else happens to be biking north on Manchaca, maybe we could meet up?  More blinkies & reflective gear may lead to greater visibility?

#2 2008-09-04 17:17:59

bikinpolitico
Website

Re: Manchaca / Slaughter

I'd definitely go with more reflectors and as many lights as you can handle. You might also want to look at Down Low Glows for the ultimate in visibility: http://www.rockthebike.com/lights/downlowglow

I'd stay away from Manchaca going north once you get to William Cannon. Instead, Get onto a side street over to Westgate or even William Cannon to Westgate (I can't remember if there is a bike lane there.)

Edited:  No signatures, please. -Editor

Last edited by MichaelBluejay (2009-05-26 11:13:02)

#3 2009-05-25 18:16:38

rfohill

I just started commuting in from 1826 and slaughter lane to downtown..   I go down davis to escarpment to convict hill to brodie to lamar.  Any suggestions on a safer faster route?

#4 2009-05-26 11:11:04

mariposa

Well, you have a number of options.  The fastest route would be to take Mopac all the way to Barton Springs, and then head wherever you need to get to from there.  This route has a good shoulder for most of the route; I recommend getting on the access road at the SW PKWY exit, then you have to get back on Mopac over Barton Creek and essentially take the lane.  It's a good downhill, and isn't as scary as it sounds if you're comfortable in traffic.  Get back off after you cross the creek and it's an easy ride on the access road from there to Barton Springs. 

If you don't like the sound of that, there's nice neighborhood roads you can take, but much slower.  You could try Davis>>Dittmar>>Forest Wood>>Mt Carmel>>Wm Cannon>>Emerald Forest>>Vinson>>W St Elmo then depending where you going downtown, head left to Banister>>Garden Villa>>Barton Skwy>>S. 5th/Dawson or right to S. Congress.

One more option, would be to take your route to Brodie, then right turn at Ernest Robles before Ben White, then go Jones Rd>> Pack Saddle Pass>>Redd>>Banister>>Garden Villa>>Barton Skwy>>S. 5th/Dawson all the way to Barton Springs.

Good luck!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.38 KiB (Peak: 533.01 KiB) ]