#1 2012-06-15 13:32:50

owlman

Manchaca Rd to Del Curto shortcuts?

Are there any pedestrian connections between Manchaca and Del Curto/Clawson, besides going up to Lamar or all the way down to Fort View Rd. near 71?

#2 2012-06-15 19:24:32

damicoaustin
Website

Re: Manchaca Rd to Del Curto shortcuts?

You might search around on the forum. I think I posted a bunch on this at one point when I had a regular routine of trying to get from Woodward and 35 to Habibi's Hutch to pick up my kids at Lightsey and Manchaca. The railroad tracks, of course, are in the way. There are paths, eg.e on Lightsey to get you to the other side, and I think even some on the newer developements off Del Curto if i recall correctly. But it's almost more trouble than it's worth to go all the way back down to Oltorf or Mary.

#3 2012-06-20 11:57:07

owlman

Thanks, I didn't really find anything relevant.  Looks hopeless :)  It seems strange that there are no connections for over a mile between these streets in urban Austin, and no boundaries (train tracks, creek, ravine, etc) preventing any through path.  I guess that's just how it got developed over the years.

(also, I should have posted this in Commuting/Routes, oops)

#4 2013-04-11 17:02:40

dsc995

This may be too late, but there is a path at the end of lightsy road that leads to the unnamed park on del curto.  I have just moved to the area and scouted it out as a possible route for my bike commute to down town.

You can google map it at roughly this address:   1912 Lightsey Rd 78704

#5 2013-04-11 21:22:16

owlman

Thanks, dsc!  I'll check it out some day.

#6 2013-04-12 08:14:39

AusTexMurf

I lived off of lightest/clawson on pin oak ct years ago.
I used to turn off clawson, south of southridge, into some very small apt complex. Their parking lot connects with Valley View Dr, which is a dead end street off Fort View.

You cut through the apt complex on Clawson to Valley View Dr then cut through the parking lot of the south austin senior center. This kicks you out to manchaca and you can use the pedestrian crossing at the senior center to cross manchaca on prather dr. This goes by the old porter middle school/Ann Richards school to pack saddle pass which kicks you to s lamar or brodie oaks shopping center.

Even if you can't still get through the apt complex, you can always take fortview over to valley view to senior center. Safer crossing of manchaca.

Also, where they are developing the new high rise complex on lamar, you can cut through the future park on del curto to punch directly to lamar.

Or just take cinnamon path to del curt to blue bonnet and the across lamar......then you avoid the blind curve on del curto/lightsey.

#7 2014-01-03 23:26:26

mhaller

Stumbled across this post looking for a Del Curto -> Lamar cutover.   I've puzzled over Google maps a few times in the past, and always opted to crawl up Lamar instead.  This time, I had my kid in the side car, and wouldn't settle for Lamar.  dsc995 is right on - 1912 Lightsey Rd 78704 is the spot.   http://goo.gl/maps/sMmem  ... to the east of the privacy fence is  a little trail that hugs the creek and leads to the del curto neighborhood park.  (Which btw, is a cute little wooded affair, with a nice playset.)   The only issue is the fence they put up around the park.  It is a low 3-rail fence, and easy enough to clear, I even lifted my kid rig over it, but I felt a little weird going over these obstructions which were put there for a reason.   I'm pretty sure that trail is public property though, and it sure is handy.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.63 KiB (Peak: 540.25 KiB) ]