#1 2012-03-06 11:11:37

savanni
Website

Suggestions for carrying picture frames

This is an oddity...

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time framing some pictures.  The final frames measure something like 14" x 17".  To get the job done, I actually drove over to the shop (several times... the learning curve is problematic).

A challenge!

My normal luggage carrying gear is a pretty standard luggage rack and a pair of Ortlieb panniers.  No way that the frames would fit into the panniers.  I'm thinking of building some kind of box and then lashing the entire box onto the rack.  I actually did that with a pie once, but the pie was smaller.

So, how would you carry four such frames?

#2 2012-03-07 22:30:18

daveintex13

Re: Suggestions for carrying picture frames

The only thing I can offer is, I have learned the hard way to try to carry breakables as close to my person as possible, usually in a back pack.  My bike is not nearly as cushioned as my body.  Personally, I would try to tie up the frames in a towel or blanket then lash that to my back somehow (bungee cords or a used inner tube with a clip, slung around your shoulders?).  I'm assuming there's glass and maybe I shouldn't be assuming that.
~davew~

#3 2012-03-08 10:37:03

savanni
Website

No, the glass is a correct assumption.

I'm on a 'bent (and, really, I refuse to go back to an upright, now), so no option for carrying anything on my back.  I definitely like the towel idea, and I'd probably wrap each picture individually.  Maybe fewer such pictures.  I've even been considering getting a trailer for other large items.  I'll experiment with this one day soon, but the pictures in question are hopefully getting to their destination today or tomorrow.  Going to have to use a car for that purpose.

#4 2012-03-08 12:07:12

CharlesDuffy

If you're in the East Austin area, I have a Cycletote trailer I'm willing to lend -- it should easily fit 14x17 frames. The hitch is a seatpost mount -- it might be a little interesting figuring out how to set it up on a 'bent, but I'd be quite surprised if it couldn't be done. My email address is registered with the forum, or I can be contacted at 512.394.3516 (voicemail and text messages left there go to my email).

#5 2012-03-08 12:29:11

savanni
Website

Nah, southwest Austin.  Thank you for the offer.  For this round I have it handled, but I won't own a car for much longer, so I'm trying to figure out some of these challenges now.  I think that a trailer is probably my best long-term solution, so I'll likely order one later this year or very early next year.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb … php?t=7452 <-- one person on this list refers to having Cycletote make a rack mount hitch.  I'll probably request the same thing when I order a trailer.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.25 KiB (Peak: 536.88 KiB) ]