#1 2012-02-29 10:53:53

savanni
Website

Potential destinations for leaving Austin

So, I love Austin, but I'm considering leaving.  I'm wondering about other places in the US that are as bike friendly or more so than Austin.  Portland is legendary for its bike friendliness, but basic research showed me that it is just as expensive to live there as it is to live in Austin, if not more so.

So, I'd be looking for a city that

* Is reasonably large... 50,000 might be too small to have much going on socially but 100,000 would probably do it
* Very bike friendly
* Lower cost of living than Austin

Maybe I'd buy an RV, load my bikes and cats into it, and take *that* somewhere.

I always hear about Portland, I've visited and loved Portland, but I'd like to know what other options might be out there.

#2 2012-02-29 23:15:33

McChris
Website

Re: Potential destinations for leaving Austin

It sounds like you're looking for R1 college towns. Lawrence KS is the first place that comes to mind. I wish I could have gone there for undergrad.

#3 2012-03-06 11:13:19

savanni
Website

I don't understand what "R1" means, but I have considered the college town idea.  I actually attended the University of Oklahoma, and while Oklahoma isn't known for bike friendliness, I remember the area around campus being relatively friendly.  Cost of living was definitely lower than Austin back in the late 90's.

#4 2012-03-07 18:12:07

McChris
Website

R1 is shorthand for "Research 1," which is an outdated category for designating the largest research universities. I was using it to distinguish college towns like Lawrence or Champaign from little places with a little college, like say, Northfield, MN. Obviously, College Station would not be a good place to bike, but other places like Lawrence would have a lot going for them and a low cost of living.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.4 KiB (Peak: 533.02 KiB) ]