#26 2011-09-22 19:33:53

rich00

Re: Chrerrywod meeting

I think the 6' bike lane next to the 8' car parking space is okay on roads without much car traffic and not too much car parking (Cherrywood), but I don't think it's a good standard for busier roads or where there is consistent car parking. A 3' bike lane not in the door zone means you'll be having traffic brushing you as you need to nearly ride the white line between the bike and travel. Drivers will not care because they think you should be in the door zone, in this situation.

On a side note, I just moved to Breeze Terrace, so I see how fast Manor Rd traffic goes. Considering the heavy bike and pedestrian traffic near Thunderbird/East Side Cafe, it'd be nice to see a little traffic calming. Why do I NEVER see Austin police enforcing speed limits on roads like this? Cars seem to have free reign to speed a LOT all over town. We have the most police officers per population, too, right?

Back to Cherrywood, I love the speed humps as a cyclist. As a driver, I will never drive that road again, it was so incredibly slow and painful and inefficient. Since I practically bike everywhere, I'd like to see speed humps on a lot more roads like Cherrywood. Unfortunetly that will lower all car drivers mpg and increase pollution.

#27 2012-10-08 00:56:16

rich00

Re: Chrerrywod meeting

The bike lanes are in, what do we think? They look good to me. Crossing the speed hump areas is not as smooth, but eh.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.022 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 565.98 KiB (Peak: 1.02 MiB) ]