#1 2010-08-13 18:17:02

rich00

Passing laws - emergency vehicles compared to cyclists

Why is it illegal to give emergency vehicles "just" 20 feet, instead of 40 feet of room while passing on the highway (must move into left lane), yet cyclists are only given 3 feet, if they are lucky? A closing speed of 65mph isn't going to differ from a closing speed of 40-50mph in the event of a collision.

#2 2010-08-14 19:04:03

john the blasphemer

Re: Passing laws - emergency vehicles compared to cyclists

It's because, as a cyclist, you are a third class citizen (right below the homeless drunks that live under the overpasses.)  You should learn to bow your head and submit to your SUV driving, micro-cocked, Nascar watching, Tea Bagging, Cul-de-Sac living, true blue Amerika Uber Alles Patriot masters.

That is, until, the day comes when gas hits $15/gallon.  Then, me friend, we will spin past these lazy fat assed SOBs as they waddle along in a daze wondering where their next 5000 calories of greasy fast food is coming from.  We will urinate on them from our bicycles.  And we will spit on them.

Sorry for the bitterness, but yesterday I had to run an errand for my small business (of which I am the sole proprietor (read: pays lots of taxes to both the city and the country and doesn't get jack shit in return except for a bunch of wars, and a bunch of pot holes.)) and had to ride on the TXDoT Hell hole know as Burnet Road FM 1325.    There are no  back road alternatives to where I was going, so I had to chance it with the dip shit epsilon-semi morons in their damn SUVs.  I was nearly run off the road twice.  I both cases, the drivers had ample opportunity to move into their left lane, but couldn't be bothered - probably because they were on their cell phones. 

(To be fair, MOST drivers that day obeyed both the law and the spirit of common decency and waited to pass.  If I could identify you, I would buy you a beer.  Thank you!)

AND, I have two words to say to the hard core Fosterites out there, and the second of those words is 'YOU'.  I earned my Vehicular Cycling merit badge long ago when I was a kid growing up in Europe. Now I have finally figured out where to stick it, thanks to everyone who has ever argued against bike lanes in places where it makes sense to have bike lanes!

When I moved to Texas back in 1980 it seemed like lots of people drove around Houston in pick up trucks with shotguns and assault rifles in racks in their rear windows.  Is this still legal?  I have been looking online, but haven't found a clear answer.  I'm thinking of carrying my Ruger Mini 14 on my back while I commute by bike.  I have a 30 round banana clip and could get another and duct tape them together. I also have a scope and bipod.  I'm a good shot and used to be an NRA rifle and shotgun instructor.  I could get a folding stock too, I suppose.   Would this be legal to carry?

Just wondering, because I'm getting sick and tired of it all.

#3 2010-08-15 12:20:16

rich00

It's one of the main reasons I just moved back to CT this week. TX, in general is not cycling friendly. The city of Austin does have some good bike lanes and facilities, and more coming, but once you hit the suburbs or the country - it seems quite dangerous on many roads. I think Barton Springs road is the worst road in the city. I swear, drivers will NOT give you any room on that road. Of course, 10 seconds later you catch right back up to them at a red light.

Gawd, I hated Burnet road. The only time I biked on it, I used the sidewalk at 10mph, or I hammered it at 25-30mph up near 183. I once took it from 183 up north to where it meets that other highway. Luckily I had a strong tailwind, but even at 35mph I was getting brushed by traffic. People just don't care if they kill you. Just watching that road from the sidewalk - it looks like a death zone. If it wasn't for Shoal Creek Blvd, I would of have a hard time going south from where I lived on Steck.

Last edited by rich00 (2010-08-15 12:22:26)

#4 2010-08-15 17:29:20

dougmc
Administrator

rich00 wrote:

Why is it illegal to give emergency vehicles "just" 20 feet, instead of 40 feet of room while passing on the highway (must move into left lane), yet cyclists are only given 3 feet, if they are lucky? A closing speed of 65mph isn't going to differ from a closing speed of 40-50mph in the event of a collision.

I suspect you have misunderstood the details of the Move Over law --

§ 545.157. PASSING AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE.  (a) On approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:
        (1)  vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle;  or
        (2)  slow to a speed not to exceed:                                           
            (A)  20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more;  or
            (B)  five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour.

... so you don't need to give them "just" 20 feet -- you need to either give them 1) a complete lane of distance, or 2) slow down to 20 mph or more under the speed limit.

The situations are somewhat different.  A "vulnerable road user" is often moving, but these emergency vehicles are always stationary (at least when this law is in effect.)  And passing a "vulnerable road user" should be a very common event, where passing these emergency vehicles is typically rare.  Another difference is that passing a cop too close or too fast often results in a ticket -- it all depends on how busy he is.  Passing a cyclist too close almost never results in a ticket, unless he's a cop. :)

A bigger issue IMHO is that one is a state law, and one is only a city law (thanks to Governor Hairdo.)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.46 KiB (Peak: 540.09 KiB) ]