#1 2011-04-11 01:05:15

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Are wide outside curb lanes safer or not?

In my list of top 10 car-bike collisions, I list "getting hit from behind" as #10, since it seems to be less common.  In my advice for avoiding that collision, I suggest picking roads with bike lanes or wide outside curb lanes (wide enough for a car & bike to easily ride side-by-side).  But while that should reduce the chances of getting hit from behind, in theory it could raise the chances of getting right crossed, left crossed, or right hooked.  I do have a page listing articles about the safety of bike lanes, but there's not much, and I couldn't find anything specifically about streets with wide outside curb lanes vs. narrow streets.

Does anyone know of more modern research about the safety of wide outside curb lanes, or even bike lanes?  Is my advice to seek out these kinds of streets sound?  I believe it is, but I'd like to hear what others think.  Thanks.

#2 2011-04-11 08:53:15

rickb

Re: Are wide outside curb lanes safer or not?

There was a study done on bike lanes and commuters.  See it at http://www.utexas.edu/research/ctr/pdf_ … 5157_1.pdf
I was a guinea pig,  along with several others, on some video tests as part of the study here in Austin.
You can read the press release with a synopsis at http://www.utexas.edu/news/2006/09/18/engineering/
Briefly, "By studying the interactions of drivers and bicyclists on Texas roads, transportation engineers at The University of Texas at Austin have discovered that having painted bike lanes on streets and roads helps both commuters stay in safer, more central positions in their respective lanes."

#3 2011-07-13 16:56:46

rich00

Re: Are wide outside curb lanes safer or not?

I think they are safer. Riding 360 feels pretty safe, you just need to know when to cross the on/off ramps and be very aware.

Riding west 5th st into the city feels safe. It's always good to do a quick glance to your left rear as you approach a bigger intersection to check for a car that wants to turn right, coming behind you. The faster I go, the farther to the left I ride, up to taking the full lane on most other streets where there is no bike lane. This is usually on downhills on quiet side streets.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.14 KiB (Peak: 532.77 KiB) ]