#1 2010-04-20 20:18:57

rich00

Public education on rights of cyclists

After being harrassed this evening by a pick up truck driver, while cycling on my road bike, it's really come to my attention that the public doesn't understand the rights of cyclists on the road.

This man believed I didn't have the right to use the entire lane (on a neighborhood street, at about the speed limit, with parked cars, debris and potholes filling most of the shoulder). So he comes from behind me and brushes me while I take a right hand turn, only feet from the right shoulder. Then he slows in front of me, stopping, essentially threatening me with a deadly weapon. I maneuver around his left to avoid a collision, and pass him. Then he catches back up to me, brushes me again, close enough for me to bang on his truck with my hand (to let him know how close he came to hitting me).

I pull over at the next stop sign in attempt to end the confrontation, and he parks in the middle of the road, gets out and starts yelling at how I didn't have the right to use the full lane earlier. Mind you, this road was a 25mph limit, and I have averaged 25mph for the previous  mile on it. I rode as far to the right as I could, safely. There is nothing safe about riding 2 ft next to the curb with driveways and parked cars and curves and potholes, while at 25mph.

Anyway, I'd like to support public education of the rights of cyclists. Why is there so little of this? Maybe a news station could do a story on it, quickly stating that all right-most travel lanes are shared lanes, with bikes (and other road users), and so on. It seems, even though most drivers are decent, that there is still a large enough segment that believes the law is "bikes are only allowed lanes marked 'bike lanes', and we must yield to all overtaking traffic" (Which is clearly not the law). I see this all the time on Shoal Creek Blvd, with cars brushing cyclists who are passing parked cars.

People need to just drop everything, and think about the extreme difference there is between a bike and car. It's so stupid to purposely brush a cyclist because they think the cyclist is wrong. Even if the cyclist is doing something wrong - so what - we are talking life and death. You don't teach someone by risking their life.

Any ideas?

Last edited by rich00 (2010-04-20 20:25:09)

#2 2010-04-21 09:35:10

plarson

Re: Public education on rights of cyclists

First of all, it needs to be reported. Take down the license number. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Thanks for the description of what you went through. People have some weird ideas about the world they live in. Everyone is in such a hurry!

P "the hater" larson.

#3 2010-04-21 10:19:50

rickb

Yes, please report that driver.   He needs to have his consciousness raised the hard way.

#4 2010-04-21 17:03:50

dougmc
Administrator

I said don't be a hater, not to embrace your inner hater! :)

But yes, rich00, that warrants a 911 call, complete with a description of the guy and his truck and what he did.  They probably won't do anything based just on your report, but at least it'll be documented in case that plate has other similar reports ...

Video would be more compelling, but that doesn't really help much after the fact.  But a lot of cyclists do ride with video being recorded all the time just for this reason ...

#5 2010-04-21 17:15:09

NadiaB

When things like this happen you need to call 9-1-1 immediately with the license plate number and description of the vehicle.  Harassment in this form is a direct violation of the law; both the 3-foot vulnerable users law, and as aggravated assualt.

However, reporting is reactive and doesn't address the original problem of general ignorance on the part of the public.  We are beginning a "Give3Feet" campaign and hopefully this will help assuage some of these problems (see our webpage for more information).  We also welcome any ideas from you.  I know BikeTexas recently helped to get some additional bicycle-related questions on every Driver's Ed exam in Texas.  Personally, I'd like every 5th grader in the state to be required to pass a bicycle safety course.  This is what they do in the Netherlands to ensure that all drivers are aware of the cycling laws. But, they also hold drivers accountable every time they hit a cyclist or pedestrian; and we just aren't there yet culturally (unfortunately). 

We would also like to start a bicycle ambassador program.  I've asked for volunteers before, and I think we are going to start a gang of ambassadors that will go to events and fairs and such to promote and encourage cycling.  Hopefully we can get something like this started this summer.  Stay tuned for more information.

We've also just asked for $300,000 from TXDOT through Transportation Enhancement grant funding to conduct a "safe bicycling and walking campaign."  Cross your fingers that we get it, and we will blast the "share the road" message as loud and clear as we can.

Thanks,
Nadia

#6 2010-04-24 17:46:13

rich00

Thanks for the replies. When it happened I was more concerned about defusing the situation, and didn't think to take down his number. 

It happened on Westside Dr  and I stopped at the intersection of Highland Hills Dr, and that's where the guy got out of his truck. He was driving a dark gray early 90s small pickup with a bed cap on it. He truly believes the travel lane is for autos only, and will likely harrass the next cyclist he sees if they are not riding on the edge of the curb. As you can see, Westside Dr and Hart Lane are extremely dense family neighborhoods. In fact, there is a speed limit of 20mph on Hart through those curves. The roads themselves are actually quite wide, but many cars park on the street and the pavement isn't very good, plus there are curves.

I've thought of video recording each ride. It wouldn't be that hard since you can just record over the past ride where there was no incidents. I'm going to give it more thought. I see a lot of dangerous stuff while riding. Today I was in east austin on Lyons and a woman rolled through the stop sign on Tilley (4 way), after I completed my stop and was proceeding. If I didn't stop again she would of ran me over. This is with wearing a white jersey in 100% sunlight.

I'm going to try making it to the BAC meeting, I think it's this week?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 543.94 KiB (Peak: 544.56 KiB) ]