#1 2014-06-16 09:13:24

chavela

Art in public places: almost-useless bike racks @ new West Austin pool

The new "portal" to the West Austin (Enfield and MoPac) pools is really cool looking--except the bike racks are not functional.  I have a normal bike and it didn't fit properly into the front-wheel slot, and it was impossible to lock my bike to the rack with a U-lock.  You would need a cable to lock, and a very long one to grab your back wheel too.  The supposed bike parking is not "functional" like the dedication plaque inset into the ground says.

According to the City's Art in Public Places web site (policies page) http://www.austintexas.gov/department/aipp-policies, "For each AIPP project, a Selection Panel of visual art professionals is established for the purpose of making an artist/artwork recommendation. A selection panel is comprised of 3-5 jurors, depending upon the size and complexity of the individual project."

So I'm assuming a bunch of non-cyclists panelists thought "oh, great, looks really good and it has functionality to boot--bike racks"  But no one reviewed it as far as this unique design actually being worthwhile for bikes.

Am I wrong--did this receive any review from someone knowledgeable about bike parking?  Has anyone in the City tried before to catch these errors before they become permanent art installations?

I know I've seen pictures on the web of other creative designs for bike racks that didn't function well, but it's the first time I've experienced it here in the Austin.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Gray

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 524.55 KiB (Peak: 527.73 KiB) ]