#1 2014-02-20 21:34:04

Fahrradler

Loose dog(s) on Sassman

I semi-regularly ride my bike in a loop southeast of town that includes Sassman Rd. On some of my rides, I am graced by a dog or sometimes a couple of dogs running out to chase me and my friend down the road. The dog(s) pretty consistently come from one house. So far, the dogs haven't caused any direct harm and are scared away by yelling or squirts from a water bottle. However, it's a frightening and potentially dangerous issue.

Has anyone else experienced this on Sassman? This road is part of "Creedmore Cruise", so there are occasionally other cyclists and cyclist groups out this way.

Is there a "best way" to report such an issue to the local law enforcement? I'm not sure if this is within Austin city limits, but I know both Austin and Travis County have laws against loose dogs. It'd be nice to be able to ride this road without fear of a dog chase. It sure beats some of the other roads in the area as far as car traffic.  I was considering grabbing the address the next time I'm out on the loop and calling 3-1-1. However, I thought I'd ask if there's some other suggestions. I think it'd be difficult for me to have any evidence other than reports from me and my cycling buddy. I like dogs, but I'm probably not going to jump off my bike and take a photo of one that's chasing me :)

Thanks!

Last edited by Fahrradler (2014-02-20 21:36:01)

#2 2014-02-21 00:11:15

Donald Lewis

Re: Loose dog(s) on Sassman

I rode with my friend who lives in Leander today.  There are a lot of loose dogs out there.  One of his water bottle cages contains a water bottle, the other contains a huge honker pepper spray bottle.  Maybe a pint size with a big lever.  He bought it from some law enforcement officer website.  He says  he just has to squirt a little on the ground in front of the dogs and the next time he rides by they bark at him from the porch or way back in the yard.

Don in Austin

#3 2014-03-13 10:11:27

Fahrradler

I found out on further investigation that it is illegal in Travis County to have loose dogs running out in the road, and there is a way to report this.
Basically, you should make note of a general description of the dog (color, size, etc) and the address where the dog is hanging out. With that info, you can call 3-1-1 and report the issue. I have taken this step for this dog. The 3-1-1 responder said that an animal control officer will go out within 3 days to attempt to find the owner of the dog and give them some education about their obligation to restrain their dog. This first visit will not result in a citation, but subsequent reports can/will result in a citation.

Here's info on the law: https://www.tcsheriff.org/images/docs/about/tcleash.pdf

I would encourage others to report such loose dogs whenever possible! Let's make the roads safer for each other. Loose dogs running at cyclists can and do cause serious injuries to cyclists.

I also plan to get some pepper spray :-)

#4 2014-03-13 13:43:32

Donald Lewis

Fahrradler wrote:

I found out on further investigation that it is illegal in Travis County to have loose dogs running out in the road, and there is a way to report this.
Basically, you should make note of a general description of the dog (color, size, etc) and the address where the dog is hanging out. With that info, you can call 3-1-1 and report the issue. I have taken this step for this dog. The 3-1-1 responder said that an animal control officer will go out within 3 days to attempt to find the owner of the dog and give them some education about their obligation to restrain their dog. This first visit will not result in a citation, but subsequent reports can/will result in a citation.

Here's info on the law: https://www.tcsheriff.org/images/docs/about/tcleash.pdf

I would encourage others to report such loose dogs whenever possible! Let's make the roads safer for each other. Loose dogs running at cyclists can and do cause serious injuries to cyclists.

I also plan to get some pepper spray :-)

You had better get the pepper spray and not count on enforcement.  Right around the corner from us in Oak Hill there were a bunch of aggressive Dobermans that would run out in the street.  My wife and I called animal control repeatedly to no avail.  They told us that when they got there the animals were on the owners' property so there was nothing they could do.  One time the person who answered the phone at animal control actually told my wife: "Why don't you just walk somewhere else?"

My good cycling buddy had a Rottweiller sink his/her teeth into his leg and the owner of that dog IS facing consequences.  The other day a young lady went down because a dog ran in front of her.  They didn't need a meat wagon to bring her in, but she had multiple injuries.  Both these incidents were out towards Creedmore.  I am not sure I want to go on group rides in that area any more. 

Don in Austin

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.48 KiB (Peak: 536.1 KiB) ]