#1 2013-04-27 15:56:39

Stellex

Hit by a bike

Hi all,

As a ped I was crossing WITH a walk signal on Guad and a biker in the bike lane slammed into me trying to run a red. Note: I did NOT check before crossing the street because there was a car in the lane I was crossing, so I wasn't expecting anyone else. He hit me (I'm a pretty big guy) and I kept moving forward before I realized what happened, turned and looked at the light, confirmed it was red and then yelled at him that he had to stop at a red light. He seemed really flabbergasted and didn't say anything.

I see bikers running reds and stop signs all the time around West Campus and while I was partially to blame for not looking both ways before crossing, I really can't fathom how this guy and other riders wouldn't stop at a red light, especially during busy traffic hours. I don't get how bikers can be so particular about the law (I've had a biker yell at me that he doesn't NEED to use the bike lane, which is technically true) but then not care about running a red.

If anyone can explain this to me I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

Last edited by Stellex (2013-04-27 15:59:37)

#2 2013-04-27 16:33:36

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Hit by a bike

Sorry to hear about a cyclist hitting you.  There's no mystery here -- some cyclists don't see a need to be safe on the road, just like some drivers don't.  If a cyclist hit me when I had the right of way, I might have called 911, definitely if I was injured at all.  The cyclist might flee, but then that's Failure to Stop and Render Aid if they do so, which compounds the charges if they're eventually caught.

#3 2013-04-27 23:26:08

Donald Lewis

I don't understand how throngs of pedestrians can enter the crosswalk against a "Don't Walk" sign on 6th street,  I don't understand how pedestrians can illegally jaywalk in the middle of the block forcing cars to dodge them when they could walk a few yards to the crosswalk at an intersection, I don't understand how pedestrians are getting killed with sickening frequency running across I35 and other freeways, I don't understand why more motorists use their cell phones while driving than don't, why most motorists break the speed limit on a regular basis, why during certain hours and in certain areas the majority of motorists are impaired if not outright drunk.......

Never mind...I DO understand.  Lots of people in ALL groups of highway, street, trail and sidewalk users break the law and/or put themselves and others in danger.

Odd how its not even considered worthy of comment most of the time unless it applies to cyclists.

Don in Austin

#4 2013-05-15 14:34:42

rich00

This is not a surprise, as the worst offenders on two wheels are college students. It is completely wrong what he did.

#5 2013-05-15 14:36:03

rich00

Donald Lewis wrote:

I don't understand how throngs of pedestrians can enter the crosswalk against a "Don't Walk" sign on 6th street,  I don't understand how pedestrians can illegally jaywalk in the middle of the block forcing cars to dodge them when they could walk a few yards to the crosswalk at an intersection, I don't understand how pedestrians are getting killed with sickening frequency running across I35 and other freeways, I don't understand why more motorists use their cell phones while driving than don't, why most motorists break the speed limit on a regular basis, why during certain hours and in certain areas the majority of motorists are impaired if not outright drunk.......

Never mind...I DO understand.  Lots of people in ALL groups of highway, street, trail and sidewalk users break the law and/or put themselves and others in danger.

Odd how its not even considered worthy of comment most of the time unless it applies to cyclists.

Don in Austin

+1

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.021 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 574 KiB (Peak: 1 MiB) ]