#1 2012-02-24 10:20:17

200mg

New To Austin - Looking for good Road Bike Trails in N. Austin Area

Hi All -

I moved to Parmer @ Mopac from Dallas a few months ago and am looking for some good paved bike trails.  I have a road bike, but I don't like riding street because honestly, the thought of a 17yo girl txting her boyfriend in a suv approaching me from behind scares the 5#!7 out of me.  For anyone who has been to the Arlington, Tx area, my old ride was at River Legacy Park, it had a 7 miles in trail that was paved, looking for something similar, hopefully longer, out in North Austin, I've heard Lake Pfluegerville has a nice paved trail.  Any advice will be appreciated and TIA.

#2 2012-02-24 13:07:55

rmonsees

Re: New To Austin - Looking for good Road Bike Trails in N. Austin Area

The problem with most trails around here is there are lots of pedestrians using them.  I avoid them for that reason.  I used to live in the Arlington area, and I can understand why you are uncomfortable riding the roads there.  There are certainly valid complaints about bicycle accommodations in Austin, but compared to DFW, it's much better here.  One option you might consider is group rides with the Austin Cycling Association (http://www.austincycling.org/rides).  They are generally on empty country roads with very little traffic.

The largest paved trail in the area is probably the Veloway (http://austin.about.com/od/thingstodoou … _trail.htm).  That's in South Austin, so it's a bit of a drive for you.  People do ride bikes on the hike-and-bike trail around Lady Bird Lake, but that's VERY crowded with pedestrians.  It's also not fully paved, but the dirt sections are graded, so are not bad on a road bike.  In Cedar Park, there is a trail on Brushy Creek, but it's only two or three miles, and again, lots of pedestrians.

Good luck, and welcome to Austin!

Rod

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.025 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 566.02 KiB (Peak: 1.19 MiB) ]