#1 2010-07-25 18:48:53

rich00

Pollution for cyclists in traffic is 5x worse than for drivers

This study concluded what I feared. I recently bought a Respro Techo air pollution mask for when I ride near traffic - but I don't think it can filter out these nano particles.

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-06-08 … an-drivers

All the more reason why the city needs a bike-only path N-S to encourage cycle commuting. Last time I rode down Guadalupe in downtown - the air was so bad I didn't want to breath.

This is definitely a good reason to support that Bike Boulevard with decreased auto traffic.

If it's illegal to smoke in public places indoors, why is it legal to drive a vehicle that emits exhaust directly onto innocent road users?

#2 2010-07-26 16:46:53

rich00

Re: Pollution for cyclists in traffic is 5x worse than for drivers

My family in CT lives a half mile east - geographically, from the major interstate. Today there is a westerly wind and while sitting in my backyard I can occasionally smell the faint remnants of diesel exhaust. Same thing happened a few days ago while I was sleeping in the morning with my window open.

It's just odd to not even be able to escape air pollution in my quite backyard filled with all this natural vegetation.

#3 2010-07-27 09:38:34

plarson

More reason to ride the less-traveled neighborhood roads. Lamar, Guadalupe, and Congress are dangerous and noxious. Neighborhood roads are more peaceful and, with less cars, cleaner. Not to mention safer (IMO).  We can't escape pollution, but we can at least not ride in its wake.

#4 2010-07-27 23:22:55

dougmc
Administrator

rich00 wrote:

If it's illegal to smoke in public places indoors, why is it legal to drive a vehicle that emits exhaust directly onto innocent road users?

Because our entire society isn't centered around tobacco use.

What, 21% of the people smoke or so?  What percentage drive, or are driven, take buses, buy products transported by trucks or cars?  I'd say 99%, give or take 1% ...

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.59 KiB (Peak: 532.21 KiB) ]