#1 2010-05-30 21:29:29

haloeffect

Getting started giving back

OK, here's my story.  In July 2009 in Baton Rouge I was biking home from work one afternoon.  Proceeding as usual through one of our busier intersections, and obeying the rules of the road, I was run down by an inattentive driver who was turning left approaching from the opposite direction.  I never saw it coming, but I was wearing a helmet. When I awoke in the hospital, my wife told me that my neck was broken.  In time I came to find that I had shattered 4 cervical vertebrae, and had sustained what is known as a "hangman's break"--a fracture at C1 and C2.   Through the amazing skill of my neurosurgeon, and all manner of plates, screws, wires, and parts of other people's femurs, my cervical spine was repaired and set in place with the use of a halo brace, which I wore for 3 months (as most halo vets will tell you, this is getting off easy).  I then wore an MJ collar for 2 months. Today, I am fully mobile, can run, walk, dance, and probably ride, though I'm waiting a few more months to climb back on.  I have no paralysis, and no regrets.  But I am on fire to make change.  I owe my survival and health today to all those from whom I received support through my recovery--family, friends, coworkers, my health insurance, and my disability provider.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about those who get hurt while cycling to work, school, or just recreationally and who for whatever reason do not have the insurance or support system I had in my life when I was hit.  It's this consideration that drives me to want to form an organization that raises funds and provides support for those injured or disabled while cycling.  I am relocating to Austin next week, having accepted a promotion with my employer.  I'm hoping to get some people involved in this cause and get it off the ground by scheduling fundraisers like rides, concerts or auctions.  Having lived in Austin 3 times prior, I feel it would be a great town in which to debut such an organization. Let me know what you think!

#2 2010-05-31 08:21:34

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Getting started giving back

Thank you very much for sharing your story, and I'm glad to hear that you were able to make a full recovery.  Thank you also for deciding to do some bike-related activism, since there certainly not enough people doing that.

Would you consider having your idea be a project of an existing group (like the League of Bicycling Voters), rather than starting a new group?  Sometimes it seems that the number of bike activists isn't any greater than the number of bike organizations.  Over the years I've seen a fair number of people with little to no experience in the local bike community suddenly come in with the idea of starting a new group, but those groups rarely last very long.  This has happened so frequently that on the Get Involved page of this very website, the very first thing I suggest is for new volunteers to try to work with an existing group rather than trying to start a new one.

Of course, it's your choice of how you want to use your volunteer time, and I definitely wish you success whichever route you choose.

#3 2010-06-02 23:03:42

damicoaustin
Website

Sorry for the late response. But yes, please contact us at LOBV. We have so much going on and are constantly trying to stay focused on our mission...but at the very least, we certainly could discuss this and expand our discussion in the network of people we work with to see what the best fit is. There are regular benefits to help people who have been injured, but no on organization or presence that ties it all together. Give us a ring or come to one of our board meetings and get plugged in.

#4 2010-06-30 11:28:29

tomwald

It's great to have new people want to get involved with making Austin a better bicycling city... though getting injured is no treat.

If you'd like to get started with work that needs doing, visit the League of Bicycling Voters volunteer page at http://lobv.org/volunteer/
I would also be happy to talk with you individually via e-mail or phone:
Tom at LOBV.org
512-773-8775

The financial support of Austinites is also essential for LOBV to make Austin a better bicycling city.  Join the LOBV at http://lobv.org/join/

We at the LOBV are working (yes, it is often a long incremental process) to gain justice for bicyclists on the road.  Indeed, if another road user is at fault in injuring you, then they should cover your medical expenses.  We are working toward this in Austin.  If this is a task that you are particularly interested in, please let me know how much of a time commitment you can devote to working toward this.  There work to be done on a weekly or monthly basis.

Anyone can sign up to receive volunteer notices and e-newsletters from LOBV:
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/mana … l8rA%3D%3D

#5 2012-07-03 14:50:34

bigal

The non-profit I work for is interested in having a fund-raising bike ride for the Bastrop fire survivors, but have no ideas how to get started. Is anyone out there interested in sharing ideas?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 540.43 KiB (Peak: 541.05 KiB) ]