#1 2009-07-06 15:58:44

tomwald

Wendler: Bike plan will cause families and well-dressed to move away

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/conten … _edit.html

Wendler: The sorting of Austin's policies and people
Ed Wendler, LOCAL CONTRIBUTOR
Monday, July 06, 2009
Austin just adopted a $250 million plan to promote biking as a form of commuting. Who will bike to work? Probably young people. Probably singles or couples with no kids to pick up at day care. Maybe people who can afford or want to live downtown. Probably not people who work where a more formal dress code is in effect. A two-income family with kids might pick a more car-friendly environment, like Williamson County.

Over years, these decisions pile up and attract a certain type of resident and a certain economic group. Residents are sorted into communities that have the amenities and services they want and can afford.

#2 2009-07-11 18:03:21

mariposa

Re: Wendler: Bike plan will cause families and well-dressed to move away

I'm shipping my bike across the country soon and wonder if anyone has a preference for the cheapest/best service to use; I've shipped before via greyhound, fedex, and put it on the plane - all seem to be fairly expensive or otherwise troublesome.  Am I missing something?  I'm shipping to a residential address (or possibly the bike could be picked up at the greyhound station), and need the bike to be there by Friday the 17th. 

Thanks for any advice.

#3 2009-07-13 12:16:16

Sam Placette

This should probably be a new topic (MBJ?)

I like to take my bike to a bike shop to get it shipped. A good bike shop will use all the little packing pieces that come with new bikes to protect things like dropouts, derailers, wheels, shifters, etc, and choose a good shipping service as well. A safe and hassle-free option. I know you can also buy bike boxes that have insulation built in. I've heard horror stories about bikes arriving to their destination with mangled components and bent wheels, though it's never happened to me. It's not a bad idea to have it shipped to another bike shop, just in case something is broken when it arrives.

Sam

#4 2009-07-15 20:16:15

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Yeah, it should have been a new topic, but the software doesn't easily let me split posts into new threads.  So I'm just going to leave it.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 533.84 KiB (Peak: 534.47 KiB) ]