#1 2023-04-20 02:16:44

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website
MacintoshSafari 16.4

Chronicle cover story: "The Joy of Bicycling in Austin"

Kevin Curtain's piece:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/arts/20 … in-austin/

Interesting and well-written.  When I saw the headline my first reaction was, bicycling here is no joy; I didn't realize how much cycling in Austin stressed me until I stopped riding and then started again.  But the article reminded me of the happy points:  Ascending and descending parking garages, Critical Mass (with the two rides/factions about whether to obey/break traffic laws, just like over 20 years ago, the more things change, the more they stay the same), local proponents like Lee Gresham, riding through alleys, etc.

But then this quote by Gresham:  "Because the population is more left-wing, pot-smoking, and has been somewhat educated with the university here, people do acknowledge cyclists as more or less legitimate users of the street."  Methinks he might not be on Nextdoor.

#2 2023-04-21 01:30:16

dougmc
Administrator
LinuxChrome 112.0

Re: Chronicle cover story: "The Joy of Bicycling in Austin"

The whole CM "faction" thing is definitely not about obeying vs. breaking traffic laws -- both sides are perfectly willing to break them when convenient, as has always been done.  It's about control.

And the 22 page "call to action" story got way more bizarre in the hours after this article was written.  It might be worth your time to read up on that.

And yes, it's a great article -- and I'm not just saying that because I'm in that last picture.

#3 2023-04-21 02:51:17

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website
MacintoshSafari 16.4

Re: Chronicle cover story: "The Joy of Bicycling in Austin"

Yeah, thanks, but I don't really have that kind of time. :)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.041 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 575.71 KiB (Peak: 1.32 MiB) ]