#1 2020-09-12 05:20:19

Gebelec

Electric Bikes and conversions

Having just bought a second-hand folding Batribike for my bicycle-unfriendly Mrs to use, I have been considering getting one for myself so we can both use them when away in the camper.
I have been shocked at prices of 'decent' battery powered bikes from good names like Trek, Specialized, Cube etc.
I love my 8 yo Rockhopper which I've upgraded extensively and as its so fast, comfy and good handling I'm considering getting a kit to convert to battery power.
Has anyone on here done a conversion and could recommend a suitable self-build set up? Or should I just fork out for a decent ready built job of which there seem to be a plethora. And what can you say about electric skateboards? I'm looking for a one for my son, found some good here, but can't choose.

Last edited by Gebelec (2020-09-23 23:47:06)

#2 2020-09-12 07:23:49

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Electric Bikes and conversions

I got my kit from eBikeKit and have been pleased with it, but it's still $1068.  It was cheaper years ago when I bought mine, but my impression is that they want to sell only higher-quality stuff to lessen the chances of disappointment (e.g., no more heavy but cheaper lead-acid batteries).

#3 2020-09-15 10:55:04

chavela

Re: Electric Bikes and conversions

Several years ago I installed a motor on my front wheel, and that was an economical way to give me extra power.  It has performed very well.  I didn't want full electric, just a way to get help with steep hills, strong winds, and the occasional day I was just TIRED coming home from work.

https://hilltopperbikes.com/

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 528.94 KiB (Peak: 529.56 KiB) ]