#1 2018-01-19 12:01:13

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

The Bike Austin thread

Just got this to my email:

Katie Smith Deolloz wrote:

Hi! I am Katie Deolloz, Bike Austin’s new Executive Director. It is a privilege to take over for my predecessor Mercy Feris. She has helped in making the transition as seamless as possible and every member of the staff (Carson, Shavone, and Michelle) along with the Smart Trips Ambassadors (Jorge, Jolene, and Myles) have extended a warm welcome and been quick to adapt to the changes.

My husband, kiddos, and I choose to live a carfree lifestyle in the 78704, intentionally positioning ourselves along Bike Route 31 and the CapMetro 5 line for our multimodal and active commuting styles. Fun fact: both my daughter and husband are unicyclists!

Since we moved back to Austin in 2016, I have jumped in with both feet! I was elected to two-year terms for both the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Councils, voted onto the boards of Walk Austin and Vision Zero ATX, and completed my fellowship with the America Walks National Walking College. I am also a League Certified Instructor (#5283) and “graduated” alongside Mercy and Bike Austin Board members Tomasita Louviere-Ligons and Erick Benz.

Bike Austin is an organization with a rich history, which has provided a foundation on which we will continue building a strong community. During this stage of Bike Austin’s evolution, I want to affirm that I am committed to casting a bold vision for where we will go, while never losing sight of where we have been.

The Board, staff, and I are committed to advancing Bike Austin’s mission to improve the quality of life for our neighbors by growing bicycling as a form of transportation, exercise, and recreation. We want you to commit to the mission with us.

So let’s get started! 2018 will be a year of progress for Bike Austin and bicycling in our city. I'm setting an ambitious goal of 2,018 new members by this year's Bike To Work Day on May 18! To get a head start, we’ve created the “Let's Ride Together 2018” membership. Your $18 monthly investment will have an immediate impact on the cycling community here in Austin.

If you are someone who wants to invest in building a world where people of all ages and abilities can ride bicycles on streets and trails safely, join us.

If your company recognizes the direct benefit to the bottom line when employees are healthy (fewer sick days) and there is no need to pay for expensive parking spaces, invest in the mission as a business member.

For those of you who are already members and have the means, consider making a one-time contribution of $2,018 signaling your shared commitment to seeing the movement expand its reach. I realize to some it may seem an audacious ask, but this is Austin and I know it's possible!

The momentum is building...let’s enjoy the ride together!

Katie Smith Deolloz
Executive Director

P.S. Swing by the Bike Austin offices Friday night (1/19) between 6pm-7pm to say "Hello" to Katie and pick up a FREE t-shirt or bag!

#2 2022-10-08 13:02:08

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: The Bike Austin thread

I'm always the last to know.  Bike Austin merged with Walk Austin and Vision Zero ATX to form Safe Streets Austin (as per Bike Austin's website, until they take it down).

Years ago, Austin Cycling Association was absorbed into Bike Austin.

There is now no broad bike-specific advocacy group, just some niche groups like YBP.

#3 2022-10-18 09:45:20

Jack

That's a pity.  As I argued at the time, when Austin Cycling Assoc. was discussing the transformation into Bike Austin, pedestrian issues and cyclist issues aren't a good match--Like with the LAB, getting the pedestrian interests in the mix is bad for cyclists' interests.

#4 2022-10-18 11:58:54

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Well, at least this website won't be confused with the organization any more.

#5 2022-10-18 15:15:10

Darron

I'll play devil's advocate and say there are benefits to grouping bike and ped advocacy into a single "Active Transportation Advocacy".  One big one is there is much less opposition to Active Transportation than there is to Cycling Specific proposals.  It is more difficult for people and government leadership to say "No, I don't want children and the disabled to be able to get around their city better." vs "Bikes just need to follow existing laws!"

#6 2022-10-18 21:04:42

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

You both make good points.  One thing that's clear is that all the ACA group rides have disappeared, so that's a negative.  The big question is, will Safe Streets Austin be as effective in promoting bicyclists' interests as Bike Austin was?

#7 2022-10-18 21:44:53

Darron

will Safe Streets Austin be as effective in promoting bicyclists' interests as Bike Austin was

Based on my recent experience with the Austin Outside Coalition (of which Bike Austin/SSA is a member), I would say definitely.  This is mainly due to the bigger voice Active Transportation Groups can have vs bike advocacy alone.  One of the benefits of Active Transportation is cities can not get away with just painting some lines on the road (or even worse, sharrows) and say "Look, we gave you some multi modal options!" because this type of bad infrastructure doesn't work in an Active Transportation context (wheel chairs, kids on training wheels, etc).  Active Transportation Infrastructure is higher quality for all and thus better for cyclist too!

My 2¢

Edit to add: plus Hill Abell is the Safe Street Austin Board President, so I'm sure cycling is still well represented!

Last edited by Darron (2022-10-18 21:48:56)

#8 2022-10-19 00:15:40

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Darron wrote:

Hill Abell is the Safe Street Austin Board President...

Well, that pretty much settles it!

When he sold the shops, I worried he was retiring from advocacy, too.

#9 2022-10-19 13:42:14

Jack

I agree that Abell is a plus

#10 2022-10-19 17:16:23

flatau

MichaelBluejay wrote:

You both make good points.  One thing that's clear is that all the ACA group rides have disappeared, so that's a negative.  The big question is, will Safe Streets Austin be as effective in promoting bicyclists' interests as Bike Austin was?

Actually there are still a few rides posted on the Bike Austin site:  https://rides.bikeaustin.org/Our-Rides/.  Fewer then there were, they have gone way done since the before the pandemic.  It is not clear how long BikeAustin/Safe Streets will continue to host the web site, but ...  I gave up being a member of Bike Austin a few years ago, since they supported stupid bicycle infrastructure (don't get me started an what was done to Shoal Creek Blvd(.  A lot of money was spent, it looks safer to some, but I doubt it is safer, and in some case it is more dangerous.

Art

#11 2022-10-19 21:29:02

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Thanks for the correction, flatau.

In 2006 I pushed for car-free bike lanes on Shoal Creek, as a one-person effort, because I couldn't get anyone else interested.  I'm not a leader.  (I was rattled that that same year cyclists packed the Council meeting when there was talk of bringing back the helmet law, but everyone was MIA on car-free bike lanes on Shoal Creek.)  Years later Bike Austin picked up the Shoal Creek issue and ran with it, and unlike me they actually got something done.  I didn't pay much attention to the details of the implementation, I guess I've just moved on.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 574.01 KiB (Peak: 589.59 KiB) ]