#1 2010-09-10 09:35:20

ktti

Accommodating Bicyclists in the Austin District

We are conducting a research study with the local bicyclists in the Austin District. We believe you could help us by participating in this survey and spreading the word of this survey to others interested in bicycling.  The purpose of this survey is to gauge how the Austin District of TxDOT is meeting the needs of people who bicycle or wish to bicycle for transportation and recreation.  The study is being funded by TxDOT's Austin District.  If you agree to participate in this survey, you will be asked to answer questions regarding your bicycle riding habits and your opinion of TxDOT's efforts in accommodating bicyclists.  This study will take approximately 10 minutes.  We would very much appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
Here is the link to the survey:
http://bsurvey.turnlanes.net/index.php? … =Y&lang=en

Also, if you happen to have followers (preferably bicyclists) on a social networking site or email distribution, it would be greatly appreciated if you could distribute this email to others.

Last edited by ktti (2010-09-10 09:35:54)

#2 2010-09-11 23:21:31

CharlesDuffy

Re: Accommodating Bicyclists in the Austin District

Howdy!

I tried to fill out the survey -- got to the page where it asked for commonly used routes. Put in the first one (my old commute route -- not one I'm using on an ongoing basis, having changed jobs and now homes, but my most commonly ridden route over the last year), went to proceed to the second, put in the route, pushed the button to save it... and only the first point of my second route was saved (and the route wasn't cleared; when I pressed the "Save" button again, it re-inserted that one point as my 3rd route).

My routes are long and twisty enough that I'm not really inclined to go back and try again without having reason to believe doing so will be fruitful -- is this a known bug related to number of points / selection of browser (I was using Chrome) or some other factor?

By the way -- one thing I think the survey may miss in asking which roads cyclists commonly use right now is which roads cyclists would prefer to use if they were appropriately amenable; I know I'd use North Lamar (183 -> Braker area) a lot more if it had appropriate facilities (or even an adequate shoulder). Heck, I can't even get my dog to the dog park up there without a car or pulling him in a trailer behind the bike -- there isn't even a sidewalk in that area, so it isn't reachable even on foot!

#3 2010-09-12 18:45:23

chavela

I had the same problem:  seemed to save one route just fine, map cleared, then map never cleared after saving the second route.  I also decided "fuggedaboutit" and finished the survey.  Who knows if either route was saved.

I was using Firefox.

Last edited by chavela (2010-09-12 18:45:45)

#4 2010-09-13 10:10:03

john the blasphemer

I managed to get it to save all three routes, which is amazing, since I normally can't make computers work.  Usually, I have to get my tech savvy son to bail me out.  I can't tell you how I did it, though.  I think I just kept clicking away until I accidentally stumbled on it.  The question I didn't like was the one that was supposed to sort out cyclists into ABC categories.  A being the fearless drives-a-bike-in-traffic with confidence.  I always hate this system of sorting out cyclists.  I commute in heavy traffic.  I know how to do it, but I'm always a bit afraid.  I think it would foolish to not be at least a little nervous. 
I don't like the question the way it is worded because too many people choosing it could make it look like the roads are just fine the way they are.

#5 2010-09-13 12:02:05

damicoaustin
Website

Indeed, I had problems in Firefox as well. I alerted the woman at TTI about it. But for now I would use Explorer, which seems to work fine. Good to hear so many people are using Firefox, though!

#6 2010-09-14 09:52:01

ktti

My apologies on the buggy survey. I shall contact the web people about this problem. We appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by ktti (2010-09-14 09:55:47)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 540.3 KiB (Peak: 540.92 KiB) ]