#1 2010-07-14 11:12:05

Baxter

A question about bike lanes

I live in Round Rock. A street out of my subdivision has a bike lane ( 5 ft. wide from curb) on one side only (in bound). This road only has one lane going each way but is fairly wide and new.

If I am going out bound - Am I supposed to ride with traffic on the right side or go against traffic and ride in the bike lane?

One of my neighbors dangerously tried to cut me off with his pickup and then was pointing wildly at the bike lane telling me I should be in the bike lane on the other side of the road.

Doesn't look safe to me - especially if a bike was coming the other way as there is not room for both- but just wanted to know as I am a novice rider who only uses this street to get to the bike trail down the road.

thanks

#2 2010-07-14 13:00:40

john the blasphemer

Re: A question about bike lanes

Damn these ill conceived bike lanes!  I like the ones that make sense, like the one along Braker between Burnet and Mopac, but the lanes like the one described just confuse everyone and make things worse for everyone cyclist AND motorist.

How long would I have to spend in jail if I got caught painting over these in the middle of the night?

I would suggest ignoring the fact a lane exists if you are going in the outbound direction.  It makes no sense to ride against traffic.  Just cycle like you would drive.

Oh, and report the idiot that tried to cut you off.  You have every right to be there.

#3 2010-07-14 15:34:07

john the blasphemer

But if the neighbor is someone you know, calmly explain to him why the 'bike lane' doesn't make sense to ride in.  He probably honestly just doesn't understand.  After my last encounter with an ignorant motorist in my neighborhood, I posted a message on our neighborhood yahoo group.  While, I don't expect the worst drivers to read the neighborhood yahoo group site, I hope to educate a couple of people here and there about cycling for transportation and cyclists rights.  I did actually get one positive response to that.

Lot's of people in this culture think bikes are toys that belong on side walks.  The best we can do as individuals is to educate as many drivers as possible.  It's a long ugly uphill battle though.

Don't let anyone discourage you from cycling!

#4 2010-07-15 09:06:36

rickb

I think we all agree that, although there's  bike lane problems with Austin, it's worse in the burbs.  Round Rock in particular seems unenlightened.

#5 2010-07-16 10:39:52

BikeATX

I would definitely suggest letting somebody on your city council and in traffic division know that this setup is dangerous and does more harm than good.

#6 2010-07-20 10:14:43

dougmc
Administrator

It's just a bike lane on one side?  That's not so bad -- you just ride in the street normally going the other way.

You want a screwed up bike lane?  Here - Great Northern blvd --

http://cycling.frenzied.us/unsorted/tn/ … 1.jpg.html
http://cycling.frenzied.us/unsorted/tn/ … 2.jpg.html

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.7 KiB (Peak: 537.32 KiB) ]