#1 2010-06-21 16:18:13

vattiat

Danger! Police on patrol!

I saw a bike cop this morning ticketing and/or lecturing a bicycle commuter at the corner of Congress/Speedway and 17th.  Presumably, said commuter rode through the Blanton pedestrian mall or rolled through a stop sign at 18th (just like all the cars, but easier to catch).

#2 2010-06-24 09:33:00

gracew

Re: Danger! Police on patrol!

I work at the corner of Congress and 17th. Those two bike cops have been hanging around a lot the past few days. I've seen them every day along Congress between MLK and the Capitol. I even spoke to them 2 days ago and they were not friendly, so if you're riding in the area, make sure you stop at all the stop signs, etc.

#3 2011-11-16 01:41:32

scrybbler

Yessss... this is INDEED a very dangerous corridor (Blanton to the capitol). These cops lurk on sidestreets off Congress, waiting to smack bikers with ridiculous tickets and warnings.

I saw one of these dudes once and came to a FULL STOP WHILE LOOKING AT HIM. However I did not put my foot down. He *still* pulled me over and gave me a warning (which does go on record). He claimed that I didn't stop. I promise you that stop was legit (I knew he was lurking!) and if I'd been in a car it would've been 100x legit.

I will try and post a pic of these guys the next time I see them. They patrol in spurts; right now they are not very active.

#4 2012-03-03 16:38:36

rich00

Oh yeah, these guys are ON IT. I got stopped in the Fall, lucky I only got a warning.

I decided to use Trinity to the Capitol instead. It's smoother, no stops too. If I do take Congress I do complete stop even though it's ridiculous when there's not a soul in site at midnight.

I saw bike cops run stop signs downtown too. Wish I had a video of it.

#5 2012-03-03 23:13:39

scrybbler

It's insane and a waste of taxpayer money.

I have since heard that the law does not consider a bicycle to be stopped unless at least one foot hits the ground. Makes no sense, but there it is.

Meanwhile, downtown, I nearly get run over every day (as a ped!) by red-light runners at 6th and Congress. I've never seen an Austin policeman stop any of these psycho drivers downtown.

#6 2012-03-04 00:01:18

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

The law does NOT say that one foot has to be on the ground for a bicycle to be stopped.  Don't believe everything you hear.  This website has the text of the laws.  The "one foot down" fantasy is not part of it.

Now, that's how the police might *interpret* it, but that's not what the law says.

#7 2012-03-04 00:43:51

scrybbler

Good to know!

These guys are wearing blue and black uniforms and they try to hide behind cars and around corners to spot their victims. When not working the street, they can frequently be seen ensuring the public good by chatting up the staff at the capitol's north guardhouse.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 537.37 KiB (Peak: 537.99 KiB) ]