#1 2009-02-26 23:58:45

rocketman

Road Cycling Routes around Round Rock

I heard that Round Rock is a good place to live (rated #7 nationally by CNN Money.com) hence, we are panning to relocate there in the future. We have small kids so a good school district is important to us. My question is are there any safe bike routes around the area? I would prefer hilly routes. Also is Round Rock close to other nice Austin area bike routes? Thanks guys.

#2 2009-02-27 13:57:48

jmayson

Re: Road Cycling Routes around Round Rock

We moved to the Austin area in 1998.  We first lived in Round Rock and I personally didn't like it.  It's not very pedestrian or bicycle friendly.  There are no formal bike lanes.  I would ride the farm-to-market roads up to Georgetown and back, but could not find a safe route that would allow me to ride my bike to work (NW Austin).  Since they improved McNeil Road (not to be confused with McNeil Drive) cycling between the two cities is a little better.  But if cycling is very important to you, then live in Austin.

The Round Rock Independent School District lies in Round Rock, but also meanders to include sections of northwest Austin and even a sliver of Cedar Park.  It's quite possible to live in the RRISD and live in or very near Austin.

#3 2009-02-27 14:05:55

m1ek

Round Rock is an awful place to be a bicyclist (or an urbanist). You're better off finding a good school in AISD (there are plenty, despite what the standard suburban bias would lead you to believe).

#4 2009-02-28 10:59:23

davemq

I've lived in Round Rock nearly 15 years, and it isn't very bike or pedestrian friendly, in general.  There are some ACA routes out in the surrounding rural area that are okay.  There's also a group that rides out of Georgetown, the Georgetown Cyclopaths, and those routes are rural, have some rolling hills, and are pretty quiet, i.e. few cars.

Round Rock likes to call itself the Sports Capital of Texas (or something like that), but it isn't bike friendly.  They also had a running race that they ran for 25 years and then dropped.  Doesn't seem very sports friendly to me.

#5 2009-03-01 15:35:44

rocketman

I'm glad I asked you guys, your inputs really help. Thanks a lot. Yes we don't have to be in Round Rock as long as we get good schools for the kids and being close to nice hilly cycling routes for me and my wife to ride. Besides more work opportunities should be found closer to Austin city limits. I will check neighborhoods around northwest Austin like Cedar Park. I heard also of a neighborhood next to Cedar Park called Avery Ranch. Do you think I can ride my bike safely from these neighborhoods to Austin's popular bike routes like the dam loop?

#6 2009-03-01 21:05:11

dougmc
Administrator

So, m1ek, which schools in AISD would you say are good?  Good elementary schools aren't hard to find (just look for the ones fed by the wealthy neighborhoods), but I'd love to hear which high school you think is good ...

If you're after the dam loop, you could live near the dam.  Lake Travis ISD and Eanes ISD are both known for having good schools.

If you're interested in the ACA's rides, their master map tells where each one starts -- http://www.austincycling.org/art/big_picture.pdf -- alas, you have to be a member (or show up) before they'll give you access to the rides themselves.  Or you can see which rides are coming up at http://www.austincycling.org/rides/classic and http://www.austinrides.org/ridedev/ .

Last edited by dougmc (2009-03-01 21:14:49)

#7 2009-03-02 11:11:57

rmonsees

What about being close to where you work?  I would consider that before thinking about the best places to ride.  It's almost always possible to find a decent cycling route once you're familiar with the area.  I live just south of 620, which is Austin city limits, but only barely (Cedar Park is just the other side of 620).  It is also Round Rock school district.  I also work in north Austin, so I'm able to commute via bicycle.  If I worked downtown, that would be very difficult.

#8 2009-03-03 21:32:51

davemq

Well, Avery Ranch is certainly hilly, and you have access to Parmer Lane and parts of western Round Rock without too much hassle.  I've ridden from western Round Rock down Parmer into northern Austin many times, it's not too bad.  I haven't done the Dam loop, so not sure about that.

#9 2009-03-04 16:44:28

m1ek

dougmc, Austin High was good enough for Dubya's daughters (and my stepson, and all of my in-laws). McCallum, the one my house feeds to, is fine. Bowie's fine. Here's one measure, fairly recent: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/3 … ustin.html

Cedar Park and Avery Ranch are not incredibly cycle-friendly either.

#10 2009-03-05 21:15:50

rocketman

Really valuable informations I'm getting from this forum. Now I will have to go visit these neighborhoods to see it in person. I can't wait to move to Austin. I'm tired of riding our flat Houston bike routes here. Yup aside from good schools I need to condsider also my commute distance to work. I find this school finders site helpful to see how schools are ranked http://www.har.com/school/dispSearchCampus.cfm

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 548.22 KiB (Peak: 548.84 KiB) ]