#1 2013-02-19 10:02:05

AusTexMurf

Preferred Bike Route - River to Slaughter

Due to a steady and significant increase in auto traffic (cutting through the bike route to get to downtown) during peak commuting times, this is my north/south route. The most important changes are to use Bouldin instead of S 5th and to continue on St. Elmo to S 3rd rather than turning south on Vinson. The good news is that the city has plans to provide traffic calming on Emerald Forest at some point in the near future. Something needs to be done about the amount of cars cutting through on S 5th St to get to downtown as well. This morning was just crazy on S 5th. Auto traffic was stacked up 4-10 or even 12 cars in all four directions at 8am at the intersection of Mary and S 5th St. I watched one woman (only occupant) northbound (but south of Mary) in a pickup truck pass a line of traffic (4-6 other cars) waiting on the garbage truck. She was headed north and I was biking south. She crossed the double yellow line to pass (into oncoming traffic), the waiting traffic and the garbage truck, into the southbound traffic lanes, basically running me off the road. I was also pretty safe throughout the whole scene, as I saw it happening, almost in slow motion. I could see her frustration and then her decision to move into southbound traffic because there weren't any oncoming cars at that moment, just me on my bike. She pulled out, heading directly at me, and gunned her engine to get by. Also, as the driver barreled down on me I couldn't help but notice that she was talking on her cell phone. Similar scenes also unfold on Emerald Forest, almost everyday, during the peak commuting rush.  I have been using these routes for about 20 years. The problem is increased car traffic cutting through the neighborhood streets to get out of clogged arterial traffic.

In other words, it makes sense to me to avoid the bike routes during peak commuting times in south central austin. There are too many cars, with drivers in too much of a hurry, on the whole length of Emerald Forest and S 5th St. Basically, the north/south bike route on our bike map. It is best to use even quieter streets until the auto traffic gets handled.

In many ways, Emerald Forest in South Central Austin is very similar to Shoal Creek Blvd in North Central Austin but with even more traffic. USED to be a quiet, neighborhood street but has since become a busy N/S thoroughfare for drivers avoiding the clogged arterials (Mopac, Burnet, Lamar or Manchaca, S 1st, Congress). S 5th and Emerald Forest, together, are basically a straight shot into downtown. Great idea for cyclists, but so, so many more cars out there now.

Pay attention. Awareness and avoidance are the best defensive measures.

Ride. Stay safe. Have fun.

Also, if you are going north/south from the river, consider this route to get you all the way to Slaughter:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/174677688

Best.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-19 11:58:39)

#2 2013-02-19 14:00:49

owlman

Re: Preferred Bike Route - River to Slaughter

What do you think about taking S. Congress to Matthews instead? I wonder if that would be any less stressful during peak hours.  Certainly more traffic, but you do get a bike lane...

I only bike between S Austin and downtown on the weekends, and S 5th isn't bad then.  (and on bike-to-work-day, to hit the goodie stations ;))

#3 2013-02-19 14:26:12

AusTexMurf

I do use Congress, sometimes, when I don't have my 2 and/or 4 year olds in the bike trailer, or when I don't have one of my older children with me. Off peak hours only, now. I used to ride Congress very frequently, in the past, before auto traffic was so bad. I was hit on Congress just south of Ben White during peak morning rush hour about 4-5 years ago. Car traffic started to back up at the Ben White light and a lady swerved into the (then new) bike lane, taking me out(I was flying as well, but legally, in the bike lane. Still, a lesson well-learned). She tried to flee the scene and another bike friendly motorist in a Prius with a bike rack and a Please Be Kind To Cyclists sticker chased her and used his vehicle to block her in until I caught up with her car on foot. When APD arrived on the scene, turned out that she didn't have a driver's license or insurance, nor probably US citizenship. She had 3 small children in the car with her. The responding officer actually asked me why I was riding on Congress to begin with. He didn't even realize there was a bike lane or that I had any rights whatsoever as a cyclist. The driver was allowed to leave the scene.
No ticket.
No warning.
No nothing.
Too many, problems, paperwork. What to do with the children ? Immigration status ?
All excuses the officer gave me at the time. He told me to consider myself lucky that I wasn't injured more seriously. In addition, he told me that if it were him, he would stay the hell off Congress on a bike.
Neither I nor the guy driving the Prius could believe that he said that. When I began to challenge his opinion, he basically threatened me with arrest. He wanted the whole thing to just go away, immediately, and clear Congress for the day's traffic.
I called my wife to pick me and the bike up and I drove in to work that day.
Broken watch, taco'd wheel, and major knee surgery about 6 months later.

And since then, other close calls on Congress. Too many cars in too much of a hurry to use it everyday, or at least 4-6 days per week. Much greater chance of getting hit again on Congress than on the less trafficked roads, in my opinion.

And agreed, S 5th to Emerald Forest and beyond are great on the weekends or almost anytime outside the hours of 7-8:45am and 4:15-6:45pm weekdays. And even on the weekends, cyclists (not in a large group) should avoid Vinson where it begins off of W St. Elmo and goes over the defunct rail line (Rails to Trails, PLEASE !!!). The road is narrow, dangerous, heavily trafficked, and has a weird curve over the tracks. No bike lanes. But it is on the Bike Route Map.

Just take W St. Elmo a little further east to S 3rd to Aberdeen to Meadow Creek back to Emerald Forest. Safer and more pleasant anyway.
At least until the northbound morning motorists figure out this route through our neighborhoods as well......

My $0.02.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-19 16:09:26)

#4 2013-02-19 19:59:55

Donald Lewis

And even on the weekends, cyclists (not in a large group) should avoid Vinson where it begins off of W St. Elmo and goes over the defunct rail line (Rails to Trails, PLEASE !!!). The road is narrow, dangerous, heavily trafficked, and has a weird curve over the tracks. No bike lanes. But it is on the Bike Route Map.

If you don't mind carrying your bike across the railroad tracks it is very easy to avoid Vinson.  Zoom in on segment in red:  http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/234796322

I have not found the last northern segment after Emerald Forest turns into Vinson to be that bad when I ride in just before 7:00, but this work-around completely avoids where it narrows and there is NO traffic at all from where you turn off of Emerald Forest until you get to Bannister.

Mathews is an excellent alternative to William Cannon.

Don

Last edited by Donald Lewis (2013-02-19 20:07:58)

#5 2013-02-20 10:23:00

AusTexMurf

I do cross the RR tracks to get into the Southwood Neighborhood (Redd/Hank-Ahbury) at times, but that is extraordinarily difficult and dangerous when pulling a double wheeled trailer w/ my two youngest children. I think Lansing is the best place to cross.

I also think it is much easier and more pleasant to go a bit east on the route. Meadow Creek to Aberdeen to Englewood to S 3rd to St. Elmo. Cuts out the whole section of Emerald Forest and Vinson where the car traffic is the heaviest and fastest. Also where the road narrows, has no bike lanes, and transverses the hill and the tracks of the defunct rail line.

I really would like our community to start the process of Rails to Trails funding for this RR line. It runs all the way out to 183 at the old Bergstrom AF base, our current airport.  Would make a very nice urban trail system for austin's future.

Let's see if we can't network to get this done.  I have brought this up with different agencies w/ COA and no one seems very interested.

I am wondering if we have enough interest in the cycling/hiking/pedestrian community to take on this project ?

Does anyone have any familiarity with the Rails to Trails process ?

I have a phone call/inquiry placed with the National Conservancy to see if they will provide some support for writing the grant.......

Should this be a new thread ?

Thanks,

Larry Murphy

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-20 10:52:49)

#6 2013-02-20 10:42:55

AusTexMurf

Also, in spite of the promising discussions and presentations in the Combined South Austin Neighborhood Planning process......

This is the city's actual position on traffic calming for Emerald Forest.

Quoted directly from our Public Works Dept.

"We don’t have plans for Emerald Forest. We first need a submitted application from a resident or property owner on Emerald Forest for it to be considered. The same is true for other streets."

So, in spite of neighborhood outcries, wishes, interests, demands, etc. from our neighborhood residents and from the cycling community that uses this route to commute north/south in our city, the city actually has no plans for traffic calming on Emerald Forest. The catch is that someone who lives on Emerald Forest with an actual physical address on Emerald Forest must start the process.

Not 311 calls. Not 311 cases from the online system. Not neighborhood and city planning meetings with Planning, Parks and Rec, Connectivity, Public Works, Bicycling, etc.

According to the information provided by the city (contact me if you want his name and email address off forum), this is the only avenue for traffic calming measures on Emerald Forest, on our bike route.

So.....any cyclists or interested parties out there with an actual physical address on Emerald Forest ? Emerald Wood ? Vinson ?

How about W St. Elmo, Casey, Bannister, Garden Villa, or S 5th St ?

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-02-20 11:14:58)

#7 2013-02-20 13:07:34

IbisMummy

Hey all, first post.  Just wanted to chime in and say, just did that bit of Vinson yesterday both directions while tooling around and, even around 3PM, it was not very comfy.  At 5PM, it was quite sketchy.  Also agree on S. 3rd (I also cut over to 4th at Cumberland ((Northbound)) and slide over to 3rd again at the church by Oltorf ((no light for Oltorf crossing, but I never have a problem, and feel a lot safer over there on weekdays))).

Mostly, however, I wanted to say I'd certainly be willing to help w/ any trail project (was totally unfamiliar w/ the rails to trails conservancy... and at first the very idea saddened me ((always hoping to reclaim some asphalt from the cars, not that I think it'll actually occur, but hope dies eternal... or something like that))). 

I used to live on Hank, and still know folks who do; but, alas, no one on Bannister who could start a petition process.

Thanks for all the useful information/routes, have really enjoyed ghosting around on here the past few weeks and certainly appreciate the resource.

Devon

#8 2013-02-21 18:26:27

rich00

I always take Bouldin instead of S 5th into and out of DT. Much fewer cars, an EASIER steady gradient, no blind spots, and the bus drivers on Bouldin seem more courteous than average.

I then take Johanna to S 5th to cross Oltorf. I've found drivers on S 5th to be aggressive, trying to pass while going over the speed humps when my cruising speed is 20-25mph.
Cumberland to Ray Wood to Barton Skyway to Garden Villa is next. It's not too bad there, and Banister has a good bike lane. Careful approaching Ben White as many cars will go right to get on the highway.

You can take Banister to Richmond which ends at the tracks and just walk over the tracks. It's more direct and gets you off that narrow section on Vinson just south of St Elmo.

Once you get south of Matthews, it's bliss riding on Forest Wood.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 576.87 KiB (Peak: 592.8 KiB) ]