#1 2012-06-20 07:10:27

savanni
Website

Southwest Austin out to Bee Caves

Hey, I'm curious about the route out to Bee Caves, specifically where Bee Caves Road and 71 intersect, from Southwest Austin.  I'm looking at maps and it's looking like the literal only path from William Cannon would take me on Southwest Parkway and 71.  And, by "only path", I mean that I don't see any other path that leads there at all.

What is 71 like out that direction?  And Southwest Parkway?  Hills aside, I always imagine those roads to be death-by-car traps but I am wondering if anyone else has ever done them regularly for morning and evening commutes.

#2 2012-06-20 11:52:45

owlman

Re: Southwest Austin out to Bee Caves

71 is currently under construction (widening) between SW Pkwy and Bee Cave, but it looks like when that's done it'll have nice wide shoulders on both sides.  It's pretty close to completion.  It's still a high traffic road and cars will certainly veer onto the shoulders when entering/exiting the various subdivisions, but it'll be much safer than before.  I never rode it previously, but I did see a few cyclists with a death wish sharing the narrow outside lane! :-O

SW Pkwy has decent shoulders along the entire road, except for the easternmost mile or so near MoPac.  Traffic is also reasonably low for the part you'd be riding on.

Last edited by owlman (2012-06-24 15:06:20)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 527.01 KiB (Peak: 527.63 KiB) ]