#1 2017-08-10 21:48:08

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Anti-car post on Nextdoor.com

Most of you are probably familiar with Nextdoor.com, a social networking site based on neighborhoods that lets neighbors post about things like lost/found pets, crime, garage sales, developments, etc.  I recommend it, and that's coming from someone who doesn't do any other social networking sites, including Facebook.

Anyway, someone recently started a topic asking why some people feel it's necessary to let their cats roam around outside, instead of just keeping them inside all the time?  In reply, Tim William had this to say:

Tim William wrote:

What's up with all the outdoor cars? I can't even ride my bike at 4pm on the weekdays because the air quality is so bad. They run over and kill squirrels, cats, possums, etc. Please keep them in your garage.

#2 2017-08-11 16:32:10

RedFalcon

Re: Anti-car post on Nextdoor.com

One of the most stressful parts of my day occurs at about 1430 when I get my daily Nextdoor summary email.   I force myself to scan it for stupid comments about cyclists.  I hate arguing over the internet, but feel that it needs to get done.  The STUPIDS cannot go unchallenged.  I like how he turned that issue on its head.  Well done.

#3 2017-08-12 00:22:18

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Huh, I was an early adopter on Nextdoor but I haven't seen anti-bike posts.  I'm in Chestnut East (very central), so maybe it's a demographic thing, with my + adjacent neighborhoods being less anti-bike than those farther out.  Do you live farther out?

Yes, it's important to challenge ridiculous anti-bike posts, otherwise it's just an echo chamber where people have their biases reinforced.  For example, if I saw one of those "cyclists need to follow the law just like drivers" posts today, I'd be sure to point out the driver I saw blow through a red light tonight a full four seconds after it turned red.  So, I'm glad you're making the effort to counter the bad posts.

#4 2017-08-12 18:01:59

RedFalcon

I live near Parmer and Mopac, but work in La Frontera.  I call it the suburban wasteland.   Sure, we have some good cycling infrastructure in places, and I even spot a few fellow bike commuters every year.  (I counted less than 10 in the last 12 months!!)  There are so few of us that drivers are not expecting to see us.   Also, a lot of the road is designed for high speed car traffic.  So even though we have some good roads to ride on we still have to deal with some nasty bits that make for significant barriers (Wells Branch Drive, for example).

The local drivers get frustrated when we 'slow them down'.  To these people cycling is something you do for weekend recreation, either with kids on a separated path, or on the shoulder of Parmer to train for a triathlon. 

This is the land of the NIMBY.  They hate connectivity and want all streets to be cul-de-sacs.  They don't want 'the other' to move into, or even pass through the neighborhood.  I have read many ugly posts that vilify cyclists, people of color, the homeless, renters, and even wild animals.   This is a world that is supposed to look like 'Stepford Wives'.  It is supposed to be white, middle class, sterile, homogeneous, predictable, and very safe for children (who are never allowed to get out of sight of an adult anyway). And any thing that gets in the way of the Suburban Dream is to be vilified.

#5 2017-08-13 07:45:44

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Ouch.  That reminds me of the old joke, "The only bad thing about Austin is that it's surrounded by Texas."  And in fact, as your experience shows, one doesn't have to travel very far from Austin to enter Texas.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.91 KiB (Peak: 537.53 KiB) ]