#26 2016-10-15 17:40:13

AusTexMurf

Re: Bike Texas endorsement controversy, and 11/16 elections

Social Cycling Austin Facebook Page:
Larry Murphy
And I EXPECT all of US to get out there and VOTE starting Oct 24th. Voting FOR Prop 1 MOBILITY bond is a vote for the people, all of us. It is a COMPROMISE, yes, but a REASONABLE CHOICE moving forward for all of us that remain , survive and THRIVE in ATX. Voting for Prop 1 is also voting for FREEDOM (of) MOBILITY FOR ALL PEOPLE and is an exciting start. The space, the clearing provided by passing this bond will CREATE OPPORTUNITIES for NEW and FURTHER ACTION. Your vote counts in this City election cycle. OUR VOTES count in this election. VOTE FOR OUR PEOPLE ! First time in a long time that we can REASONABLY do so. ALTERNATIVE(S) ! MOVE US FORWARD !

#27 2016-10-15 17:48:58

AusTexMurf

From Social Cycling Austin Facebook post:
Larry Murphy
I CHALLENGE each of you to VOLUNTEER for a WORTHY CAUSE. FREEDOM to ACT, BE, LIVE WHO YOU ARE. VOLUNTEER TO GET THE WORD OUT ON THE STREETS. WE ARE MOBILE. WE ARE OPEN TO OUR COMMUNITY AT LARGE, ALREADY. SEEK OPENINGS WITH OTHER PEOPLE ON BIKES, PEDESTRIANS, AND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION USERS WHO ARE WAITING AT BUS STOPS. WALKERS. COMMUNITY MEMBERS OUTDOORS WHERE WE ALREAY BE. WE HAVE A LISTENING WITH THEM, PEOPLE. PUT OUT MOVE AUSTIN FORWARD SIGNAGE, BIKE AUSTIN SIGNAGE, VISION ZERO SIGNAGE, etc. INFORM. EDUCATE. SHARE AUTHENTICALLY. GET OTHERS TO GET WHAT IS AT STAKE AND WHAT YOU SEE POSSIBLE AS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTION IN VOTING YES AND THANK YOU FOR A REASONABLE CHOICE. PUT YOURSELVES OUT THERE. GET GLORIOUSLY UNCOMFORTABLE. YOUR PASSION WILL MOVE AND INSPIRE OTHERS AROUND YOU TO BE AWARE AND ACT NOW. ALSO PASSIONATELY LISTEN TO THOSE YOU ARE SHARING WITH.GET WHAT ITS LIKE FOR THEM. REAL COMPASSION. YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER LISTENING, LEGITIMACY WITH WHOMEVER YOU ARE SPEAKING. TRY IT ON LIKE A JACKET TO SEE IF IT FITS YOU. CYCLISTS UNITE ! WE CAN ACHIEVE THE CRITICAL MASS TO PRESERVE OUR LIFEstyle AND MOVE OUR PERSPECTIVE FORWARD. CALLING ALL SLACKERS, GET OFF YOUR a$$#s and VOTE ! BE THE CHANGE WE ALL WANT. SHARE THIS POSSIBILITY WITH OTHERS AND LIVE IN TO THE FUTURE WE CREATE. OUR VOTE COUNTS ON THIS ONE. CRITICAL. THINK ABOUT IT. BREATHE DEEP. MEDITATE ON THE ISSUES. OUR SAFETY. OUR FREEDOM. OUR MOBILITY. PROP 1 MOBILITY BOND YES AND THE COMING CITY ELECTION. EARLY VOTING STARTS OCT 24. HELP GET THE WORD OUT NOW. BURN AND ROLL ON THIS, ATX SLACKERS.

#28 2016-10-18 11:20:22

AusTexMurf

Friends of Austin Neighborhoods is voting on the Your Preferred City Council Candidates and the Mobility and Transportation Bond. The deadline to vote is October 20 2016 at 3 pm CST. The Austin city council will consider our input when making their decision on issues we vote on.

Make sure to complete all of the voting steps, including entering your username and password after making your selection, in order to complete your vote. Once you have cast your vote you will receive an email from Helios titled "2016 City Council Candidate Preference Vote and Vote on Transportation and Mobility Bond - vote cast." This will let you know your vote has been recorded. If you have any questions, please contact info /at/ atxfriends.org. You can view information on votes any time at http://www.atxfriends.org/votes/.

City Council Candidate Preference Vote:
For more information about what the resolution is, to ask questions about it, or join in on the discussion, please visit http://forum.atxfriends.org/t/fan-2016- … -vote/1642

Mobility and Transportation Bond Vote:
For more information about what the resolution is, to ask questions about it, or join in on the discussion, please visit http://forum.atxfriends.org/t/transport … rendum/461

========
How to Vote

Election URL:  https://vote.heliosvoting.org/helios/e/ … ences/vote

#29 2016-10-28 17:20:44

AusTexMurf

Council, candidates sending mixed messages on bond prop’s chances
LOCAL By Ben Wear - American-Statesman Staff 2

Posted: 1:04 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, 2016

Highlights

Among the eight candidates with a serious chance of winning, six support the transportation bond.

Just six of 14 candidates for City Council are for the bond, but many of the opponents are fringe candidates.

The incumbent council members, meanwhile, have mostly left stumping for the bond to Mayor Adler.

Back in 2014, the last time the city of Austin had a mega-dollar transportation bond on the ballot, I was able to identify a pretty reliable poll of public sentiment: the City Council candidates.

With all 11 council seats up for grabs at the time, that meant 78 individuals were out there knocking on doors and thus were uniquely attuned to how voters felt about the proposed $1 billion road-and-rail bond. What they were hearing must have been persuasive, because at least 61 of them told the Statesman that they were voting “no.” That’s nearly 80 percent, which turned out to be a good predictor of the rail bond proposition’s eventual sound defeat.

Although there is a much smaller group out there now seeking the five council seats available this time — 14 candidates — I figured a similar exercise about the proposed $720 million transportation bond might be illuminating. However, like so much about this hard-to-call bond election, the results were mixed.....

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-10-28 17:20:59)

#30 2016-11-08 09:18:20

AusTexMurf

This is your last chance to vote for a Bike Friendly Austin this year.
Get out and vote if you haven't done so already.

Vote Yes For Prop 1 Mobility Bond !

District 4 - Greg Casar
District 6 - Jimmy Flannigan
District 7 -Natalie Gauldin
County Commissioner Precinct 1 - Jeff Travillion

Voting begins today, Tuesday November 8th, from 7am-7pm

10-1 Council District Map

Places To Vote Today

#31 2016-11-08 18:03:34

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Jeff Travillion wants to remove the tolls from toll roads.  Boo.

#32 2016-11-08 18:09:36

AusTexMurf

I know.
One thought is that this would alleviate some of the congestion on I35, MoPac, our arterials, and cut through traffic in our neighbor hoods by creating flow to the east. Debate as to whether commercial traffic should be free on 130 as well. To me, gets some of the big trucks off of I35, its outdated design, and dangerous entrance/exit ramps through downtown. Also, 130 is set for lane expansion in the existing ROW. Coming soon, I believe. It might help to alleviate some of the angry auto traffic all over our surface streets citywide. Maybe.

#33 2016-11-09 22:05:29

daveintex13

I don't speak for Jeff Travillion. But when he knocked on my door earlier this year (nice guy), we talked about just that issue (toll roads). We talked about dropping tolls on Tx130 but adding them on I-35. A swap. I'm in favor of this even though I use I-35 regularly and would have to pay tolls. I don't even have a toll tag. I-35 would generate more revenue than Tx130 and tolls would reduce the through trucks which is a win for us center city folks. Jeff is responding to his neighbors in Pflugerville who want more "free" roads. Let them have them. Those lanes will fill up faster than Boggy Creek during a gully washer. Those folks can have the blight that is I-35 in their back yards instead of ours, always worrying when TxDOT will come in and widen it. Oops, they already are. I don't support just making tolled lanes free, but I'd swap for toll lanes, HOV/bus lanes, and rail down I-35 any day. Also there's some requirement that interstates be "free" (to drivers) so Tx130 would be renumbered I-35 and I-35 could be renamed, oh, I don't know, let's say East Avenue. I'm too tired to research that interstate requirement right now, so I'll just state it sans citation and hope I'm right.
~davew~

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 568.24 KiB (Peak: 584.27 KiB) ]