#1 2016-02-20 12:31:30

jrkelley

Alternate route from S. Pleasant road to 183

Now that the bridge is closed on this route along the river- is there an alternate not involving riding on E. Riverside?

#2 2016-02-21 06:21:44

AusTexMurf

Re: Alternate route from S. Pleasant road to 183

Yes.
Take the pedestrian tunnel under S Pleasant Valley.
Keep bearing to your left on the trail when headed east towards towards 183 (north forks). You ride behind the baseball fields next to the river. Across a couple of bridges. Then take the main fork to the left after 2 creek crossings. This takes you into Roy Guerrero park and baseball fields. Ride the park road to the big new playground. Take the bike path/old RV park road to climb to Montopolis Dr. Turn right headed northwest on Montopolis to cross at Del Monte. Wind through and use a dirt trail connection to Vargas Rd. Pedestrian crossing at the light at Vargas and 183.

You could also stay on the main park road, climb out of the Colorado River Basin on Grove to Hogan to Felix. Cross Montopolis. Left on Vargas to cross 183 at the light.

Easy alternative route.

Google maps acting a bit wonky, hope this link works:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= … sp=sharing

Alternately,if you are starting from Riverside area take the Country Club Creek trail to Roy Guerrero Park or out to Vargas Rd via Grove:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=160855
Map on page 5

Another option:
If you are a confident cyclist making good time, you can take the whole right most lane on Riverside. Stay in the middle of lane, use front/rear lights, ride big.  Time of day and traffic volume changes comfort level. Would not recommend taking lane solo in peak traffic or late night due to DUI's. Lots on Riverside.
Or,
The sidewalk on the south side of Riverside isn't all that bad. You can use it in a pinch. Not that many intersecting streets once you get past the apartment complexes around Pleasant Valley and Wickersham.

I commuted from south austin through this area for more than 12 years. No probs. Changed jobs about 4 years ago, though.
Was a Very Nice commute !

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-02-21 22:16:42)

#3 2016-02-25 05:50:05

AusTexMurf

Just noticed this msg posted in October in Roadway Hazards. I assumed that you were referring to the Montopolis Bridge over the Colorado.
icools

Bridge out between Krieg Fields and Roy Guerrero River park

Hi all,

Just wanted to post that the pedestrian/bike bridge between Krieg Fields and Roy Guerrero River park is fairly out. The city has put fences around it, but people (me included) are going around them. (coordinates: 30.247276, -97.709082)

There are 3 fairly large (~1 ft) gaps between the slabs, and a large downward buckling on the widest span. There's a ton of skid marks where people approached at too high a speed and I imagine wrecked their wheels if not more. I've been walking the bike across.

Be careful out there! I hope that they fix it soon, the only detour is trekking all the way up to riverside and back down, not exactly a bike friendly street. Plus this is a great connector for ACC riverside students and anyone living further out along the montopolis/e riverside corridors.

Last edited by roboticools (2015-10-07 15:01:09)

So if this is the bridge that you are talking about, I am not sure if it is still closed or if it is now open. There are two bridges over the creek on this route. Construction crews and/or the city have closed them both 2 or 3 times in my memory. At the more westerly bridge, I have ignored the orange temporary fencing and just gone through or over. Many times. The eastern of the two bridges has also been closed during construction phases. This one I went around and crossed through the stream bed.

In any event:
Another route through this area is to take the so called Lance Armstrong Bikeway route. Easiest to cross Cesar Chavez at Pedernales to 5th St. East on 5th St all the way out to where it crosses Cesar Chavez again at Levander Loop. Separate bike path begins there. Use caution crossing Cesar Chavez. Take the path across the Montopolis bridge. Separate sidewalk on outside of bridge structure. May be a bit uncomfortable first time for some folks. Possibly avoid in high winds. This path will take you around to Montopolis Dr. You can cut through the neighborhood to Vargas as I described to cross 183 at the light. Vargas Rd is also a nice alternative to riding Montopolis Dr when headed north/south in this area.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-02-25 05:52:15)

#4 2016-02-25 10:15:59

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Thanks for helping with this one, AusTexMurf! (and the other one, too)

#5 2016-02-26 21:20:54

rich00

The bridge at Kriegs field is going to be out for years before they replace it.

I have been thinking about making a new path down through the river there. When it's dry, it would be bikeable, though some may need to walk up the steep sides.

I also thought of installing some ladder-like wood structure on the steep concrete slabs to help with going up and down them. I asked FB social cycling and didn't get one like, so I haven't pursued it.

#6 2016-02-27 08:57:03

AusTexMurf

Thanks for clearing up the bridge issue and planning possible work arounds, Rich.
Disappointing that it will be out for so long.
Still possible to go around that bridge using the LAB route described above if coming from Pleasant Valley near lake or north side of the river.
And I do believe that the Country Club Creek trail joins the Roy Guerrero trail to the east of the first or more westerly bridge. I am thinking you would be able to ride the Country Club trail when starting from Riverside or south of the river and then cross the more easterly second concrete bridge into Roy Guerrero, No ?

Also, I am usually riding a converted mtn bike touring/commuting rig or my CX touring bike when moving through the Roy Guerrero area. The first creek crossing is fairly steep and does often have water at the bottom. A hybrid type bike would make navigating this area easier.

My 6th grade son commutes to Small MS through Sunset Valley and Williamson Creek, a much larger drainage basin, and crosses it twice each way, every commute, no bridges, rough trails through the stream bed. Only safe route for him to cross Brodie and MOPAC in morning traffic. He has a nice old 90's steel Specialized mtn bike with front/rear racks, Continental Country Plus tires, etc., set up as a commuting/touring rig. He rides almost all of the route but does push his bike through the two steep creek crossings. I usually just gear way down and ride through them. 17 mile round trip commute. Just saying, it can be done. Where there's a will there's a way...

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-02-27 09:14:47)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 12 queries executed - Memory usage: 544.48 KiB (Peak: 545.1 KiB) ]