Why women don't cycle

Interesting article with links to surveys on the topic:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/why- … ont-cycle/

#2 2014-06-16 17:01:39

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Why women don't cycle

Yep.  My wife won't bike any more because of nearly being killed by aggressive / hostile / incompetent drivers.  She really misses cycling, but she's given it up.  Unless we leave Austin for some place safer.

#3 2014-06-16 22:34:32

RedFalcon

There is an evolutionary biological reason that there are more baby boys born than baby girls.  Boys are full of testosterone, and do stupid self destructive things like ride bicycles on roads with 45+mph traffic.   

When I was a young lad, my friends and I decided to build a rocket.  Not satisfied with using clusters of M-80's in the booster stage, we decided on a liquid fuel.  Our Vehicle Assembly Building was a wooden shed surrounded by piles of dry leaves.  This was when I lived in England and we got our milk in glass bottles.  We liked the shape of the glass bottles because the general shape reminded us of pictures of the V2 combustion chamber (we wasted a lot of time at the Imperial War Museum in London going over the specs of Nazi secret weapons).  We thought it would be a really good idea to fill a glass milk bottle with gasoline, flip it over (while sitting in the leaf pile next to the VAB), and put a match to it.  What could go wrong? I  mean other than my mother finding out?

All I can say is that I am still here 35 years later, but every time I pull out onto Burnett Road in rush hour traffic I think of the fire we started.  There were no girls around back in the glory days of our experimental rocketry, and I have seen very few on my cycling commute to work.

Girls are smarter then boys.

j

Last edited by RedFalcon (2014-06-16 22:42:01)

#4 2014-07-18 08:39:03

Darron

When I saw this tread I almost thought it was going to be related to "bicycle face"!

The 19th-century health scare that told women to worry about "bicycle face"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_face

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 533.37 KiB (Peak: 533.99 KiB) ]