#1 2013-11-13 08:17:51

AusTexMurf

How far is your commute ?

Right at 10 miles, one way, now. From South Austin to East Austin (pleasant valley, caesar chavez).

But,

Had about a 12 mile one way commute for 12+ years.
Very nice ride to Montopolis/Vargas neighborhood.
Route 31 to the river, then the river the whole way.
Or, Route 31 to LAB to the Montopolis bridge.
Or, Congress across Travis Heights to Parker then cut through the softball fields to the river trail.
Or, Congress to Riverside, take the lane. (shortest distance and time, least pleasant unless making time for fun on the roadie).

How 'bout yours ?

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-11-13 08:18:36)

#2 2013-11-14 11:50:12

AWG

Re: How far is your commute ?

Mine's just under 15 miles (there and back).  Moved at the end of August, so it's fairly new.  Really simple and direct with bike lanes practically the whole way.  The only way to improve it is to add bike lanes on Lamar.

North Austin (Lamar/Kramer) to UT.

Previous commutes were 2 North and one South:
Anderson/Burnet to UT
Lanier HS to UT
Teri Rd to UT

Remarkably, they've all been around the same mileage wise.  The South route was my 1st and probably roughest commute.

#3 2013-11-14 17:32:27

AusTexMurf

AWG wrote:

Mine's just under 15 miles (there and back).  Moved at the end of August, so it's fairly new.  Really simple and direct with bike lanes practically the whole way.  The only way to improve it is to add bike lanes on Lamar.

Anderson/Burnet to UT
Lanier HS to UT
Teri Rd to UT

Remarkably, they've all been around the same mileage wise.  The South route was my 1st and probably roughest commute.

I remember Parkfield/Fairfield/Georgian all being very bike friendly, north of 183.
Woodrow or Shoal Creek might add a bit of distance but nice diversity.

#4 2013-11-14 19:21:55

rich00

I don't  have a normal 'job' but the closest thing would be 4.5 miles down the eastside from Cherrywood to E Riverside. Overall a nice ride, with lots to see and no fast cars. 17 stops is a bit annoying and slow, but at least I'm not experiencing I35.

#5 2013-11-14 21:46:20

btrettel

1.5 miles from home to UT, mostly going south on Speedway. Speedway is okay, but there are a fair number of potholes and things obstructing the bike lane. I haven't found alternative roads to be any better or worse.

The main issue is crossing 38th. There are way too many distracted drivers on that road. I've been trying to get a hold of someone in the APD to see what they are doing about texting while driving because this is the scariest part of my commute.

When I lived in Maryland, I commuted 2.2 miles to my university for one year, and then I moved and commuted 2.3 miles for the next two years. The former commute actually took longer because I rode over a strange winding bridge that went over train tracks. The latter commute also was probably faster than driving (even ignoring parking the car) because I could take a much more direct path on a trail.

I worked in Los Alamos, NM for one summer and I could walk to work there. I bought a cheap bike that I used to get groceries. I had to do that trip fairly regularly as I only could buy what would fit in my backpack, so that trip kinda was my commute there. It was 1.8 miles from home to the grocery store, with a really big hill on Canyon Road. Los Alamos is great for biking aside from the hills.

#6 2013-11-15 11:31:50

AWG

AusTexMurf wrote:
AWG wrote:

Anderson/Burnet to UT
Lanier HS to UT
Teri Rd to UT

I remember Parkfield/Fairfield/Georgian all being very bike friendly, north of 183.
Woodrow or Shoal Creek might add a bit of distance but nice diversity.

I used Woodrow for the Anderson/Burnet route.  While the cars travel pretty fast there, it was nothing like Shoal Creek - I called it Mopac Light.  People do have a hard time stopping at stop signs on Woodrow, though.  One intersection was particularly bad.  Saw the aftermath of 2 car collision where the jaws of life where needed.  My old roommate, cycling home from work, got t-boned by motorcycle there too.

When I was near Lanier, I did Fairfield to Woodrow.  Didn't have the nice bike lane back then.
I've really been impressed by all the lanes that have been added recently.

Georgian's great, but has some chip-seal heavy spots on the east side of the road and one just past the creek bend on the west side.  There's also two spots that could be pretty nasty for a novice.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.63 KiB (Peak: 540.25 KiB) ]