#1 2017-06-25 05:34:33

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Lyft driver pulls a gun on Austin pedicabber (6/24/17)

Driver nearly hits pedicabber, angry pedicabber kicks the car, driver pulls a gun on the peddicaber, driver is arrested.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/pedicab- … /451857711
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/p … qzgJjGLjP/

#2 2017-06-27 10:49:13

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Lyft driver pulls a gun on Austin pedicabber (6/24/17)

Not that it excuses what happens later in this case, but ... never kick a car (or break their windows, slash their tires, etc.)  At least not if you plan on sticking around for when the cops arrive, anyways.

The law is never going to think it's justified -- legally, it's not self-defense, "teaching them a lesson" by damaging their property isn't legal, etc.  If you're going to do criminal things and you know it's criminal and plan on fleeing immediately after -- fine.  But there is no middle ground where you intentionally damage their car and then stick around and tell the police about it (read: incriminate yourself) because it was justified.

If the driver is running you over and doesn't know it and can't hear your yelling, yeah ... bang on their car.  Whatever it takes.

But beyond that, as retaliation? ... no.  It only serves to possibly justify the owner's reaction later.  As far as the cops go, it tends to turn you from the victim into the aggressor ...

#3 2017-06-27 13:27:02

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Recently a motorcyclist kicked a car on a California highway.  The driver then tried to run over the motorcyclist, but wound up crashing his car and running into a pickup truck, flipping the truck over.  The motorcyclist was unscathed (and fled).  There's a dramatic video at the link below.

Comments by readers about the situation are mixed.  Personally, while it's not a "good idea" to kick a car, doing so wasn't a threat to the car driver, but the car driver turning into the motorcyclist was attempted murder.  They're not even close to the same level of transgression.  Though many people are blaming the motorcyclist exclusively.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m … story.html

#4 2017-06-27 18:32:26

dougmc
Administrator

Yeah, I was thinking of that exact video when I typed that.

Of course, doing it from a moving motorcycle is extra stupid, because it could easily put you into the situation that did happen (the motorcyclist was very lucky), and even if that doesn't happen, it can easily make you lose your balance even without any outside help.

And yes ... the police aren't arresting the driver of the car that was kicked.  Without the kick, they would absolutely be arresting him.

This one kick turned the motorcyclist from a probable victim into the aggressor as far as the police are concerned.

I do wish they'd shown us more of what lead up to that incident -- the dash cam probably did record it, but they didn't show us.  (The police probably have it, however.)

#5 2017-06-27 18:52:45

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

dougmc wrote:

And yes ... the police aren't arresting the driver of the car that was kicked.  Without the kick, they would absolutely be arresting him.

That's ridiculous.  Turning into the motorcyclist was attempted murder, no matter what transpired before.

dougmc wrote:

I do wish they'd shown us more of what lead up to that incident.

The person who took the video said it was the first kick that prompted him to start recording.  It appears to have been taken with a phone.

#6 2017-06-28 16:01:28

RedFalcon

Dougmc is absolutely 100% correct.  We should never retaliate against stupid car drivers.  If we do, we risk turning losing any moral high ground we might have and just make our PR situation much worse with very little benefit.

That said,  last year I ignored that excellent advice.  My daughter/grandchildren and I often have to cross Parmer to get to the HEB.  My daughter has been nearly hit so many times by car drivers blowing throught the red light to make a right turn that she started carrying rocks to throw at those cars.

One time we were all crossing together. Two adults, two small children and three large dogs.  An asshole in a BMW swung into the right lane, blew through the red light, and nearly hit us as we stepped off the curb.  I threw a rock and hit the rear door and left a big dent.  The car just took off.

I'm a very bad person for doing that, but DAMN, it sounded so good to hear that rock hit that BMW.

It was a kind of THUD sound.    But, I'll try really hard to not do that again.  Promise.

#7 2017-06-28 19:03:13

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Six years ago I was walking my family over to a makeshift memorial to a pedestrian who'd been killed by a reckless driver. The light turned to walk for us and as we stepped off the curb a car blew right past us within inches, right through his red light.  Pissed that he'd nearly hit my family, I rapped on the car with my umbrella.  As we got to the memorial across the street, unbeknownst to me the guy had parked and came up to me quickly.  I turned around and saw him but didn't realize he was the driver or intended to do me any harm, so he was able to quickly get me into a headlock before I could defend myself.  He man-handled me for a bit and then let me go, but given that he had the upper hand he could have easily caused permanent, life-changing injuries.

And that's the world we live in:  We nearly get killed by a reckless driver while walking to the memorial of another pedestrian killed by a reckless driver, and the guy who nearly killed us thinks that having his car tapped with an umbrella is somehow a more egregious offense than blowing through a red light and nearly killing four pedestrians.

But you know, bicyclists have to follow the law "just like drivers" if they want respect.

Just like drivers.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 549.09 KiB (Peak: 549.71 KiB) ]