You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-16 13:57:19

dougmc
Administrator

The Mopac Pedestrian bridge over the greenbelt is almost done ...

I'd say it's 99% done.

Here's some pictures I took of it a week ago ... very little left to do.

I'd emailed the city about it at the end of April and they said the plan was to have it open this month, but they weren't more specific than that.

#2 2017-05-17 09:53:45

flatau

Re: The Mopac Pedestrian bridge over the greenbelt is almost done ...

It certainly would be good to have the bridge to get across the greenbelt there.  However I work on SW Parkway, and getting the last 1.5 miles or so by bike from the bridge to my office is not for the faint of heart.  Particularly at rush hour.  I have done it but it scares me every time.  Going the other way is even worse and I have not attempted it. Short of having the county repave SW Parkway and widen the shoulder (which they should do just for the car traffic, let alone the bike traffic), I don't see this helping my commute by bike to work.  It is particularly frustrating as our office used to be at the southeast corner of Mopac and 360, and it fine for biking to work.  Moving 2 miles or so makes it almost impossible.

Am I missing something or is there a reasonable route to get from the bike bridge to places on SW Parkway west of Boston Lane?

#3 2017-05-17 11:23:46

dougmc
Administrator

Well, there's only two potentially reasonable ways from Mopac and 290 to SW Parkway and Boston -- either via SW Parkway or via 290 to Boston.  Everything else would be much longer, though Republic of Texas Blvd might be useful in some cases.

I've ridden SW Parkway there and it's not good, but I didn't find it to be horrible.  (Horrible would be riding Mopac proper over the Greenbelt Northbound before this bridge is done.  And I've done that too, but not often.)

I haven't tried 290 to Boston, though I do remember that 290 gets sketchy at some point in there ... I don't remember if it's before or after Boston.  Before Boston ... it's short enough that I might be willing to walk on the grass to get to the parking lot for Safe Way Equipment rental and cut through it.

All in all ... I've got nothing that you probably haven't already considered.

But on the bright side, this bridge will probably help with the "chicken and the egg" problem of how they won't build any bicycle infrastructure here because nobody rides here because nobody can get here.  So maybe in a few years this area will be a lot better?

#4 2017-05-21 11:28:03

owlman

flatau wrote:

Am I missing something or is there a reasonable route to get from the bike bridge to places on SW Parkway west of Boston Lane?

Have you tried the dirt trail from Gaines Ct over to Mesa Village Dr to Travis Country? You can see it on google maps & satellite view. It's quite sticky when muddy, but fine on a road bike when it's dry. It's my favorite way if I have to get from the bridge to SW Parkway.  I agree that eastern mile of SW Parkway is very bike-unfriendly.

I'm usually headed farther south so I continue on the frontage road across 290 and salmon on the sidewalk over to Staggerbrush.  I wish they would stripe a continuous shoulder between Gaines Ranch Loop and SW Parkway; that part where the shoulder disappears can get hairy.  I think the city has their sights set on the YBC Trail so we probably won't see any interim improvements in the area until that gets built in 10 years or whatever.

#5 2017-05-22 10:29:15

flatau

owlman wrote:
flatau wrote:

Have you tried the dirt trail from Gaines Ct over to Mesa Village Dr to Travis Country? You can see it on google maps & satellite view. It's quite sticky when muddy, but fine on a road bike when it's dry. It's my favorite way if I have to get from the bridge to SW Parkway.  I agree that eastern mile of SW Parkway is very bike-unfriendly.

I have walked (looking to see if it was a possibility) from Mesa Village Dr. to Gaines Ct.  Not great, but probably doable on a bike when it is dry as you suggested.  However, I have ridden by the entrance to Gaines Ranch (or whatever that community is).  It is gated, and I could not see how to enter it.  Do you wait until a car comes out?  or is there another secret?

owlman wrote:

I'm usually headed farther south so I continue on the frontage road across 290 and salmon on the sidewalk over to Staggerbrush.  I wish they would stripe a continuous shoulder between Gaines Ranch Loop and SW Parkway; that part where the shoulder disappears can get hairy.  I think the city has their sights set on the YBC Trail so we probably won't see any interim improvements in the area until that gets built in 10 years or whatever.

Staggerbrush is on the east side of 290, so I don't see how that helps.  I agree about the shoulder on the frontage road, although I believe that is either the state or county that "own" that piece of road, not the city.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#6 Yesterday 11:02:19

owlman

flatau wrote:

I have walked (looking to see if it was a possibility) from Mesa Village Dr. to Gaines Ct.  Not great, but probably doable on a bike when it is dry as you suggested.  However, I have ridden by the entrance to Gaines Ranch (or whatever that community is).  It is gated, and I could not see how to enter it.  Do you wait until a car comes out?  or is there another secret?

If a car is there or the gate's open you can cut through for a shorter route. Otherwise there's a somewhat rougher trail conection just south of the entrance, by the electrical transformer. I prefer a bumpy dirt jaunt rather than riding on Southwest Parkway itself. Your preferences may vary :)

flatau wrote:

Staggerbrush is on the east side of 290, so I don't see how that helps.

Yea sorry for the confusion, I was just talking about my route south. Agreed nothing good on the north side of 290, not even a sidewalk.

Board footer