#1 2016-10-08 10:44:11

Schludermann

Reporting cars blocking intersections

Sometimes and on particular streets, during rush hour. Some drivers will block an intersection so completely I have to dismount to get through the intersection or wait for the blockage to clear.

Is it feasible to report these drivers.  If so how is it done and what information needs to be included.

Kris

#2 2016-10-08 11:04:04

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Reporting cars blocking intersections

Good question.  My educated guess says there's nothing you can do.  You can't call the police because by the time they arrive the intersection is no longer blocked, and they don't accept photographic evidence for minor traffic infractions.

Does anyone know otherwise?

#3 2016-10-09 11:08:10

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Reporting cars blocking intersections

I'm also not sure that this is actually breaking the law.

There's a law against stopping in an intersection (545.302.  STOPPING, STANDING, OR PARKING PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN PLACES)  --

(a)  An operator may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle:
                (1)  on the roadway side of a vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;
                (2)  on a sidewalk;
                (3)  in an intersection;                                       
                (4)  on a crosswalk;   
But it's got a huge loophole that will let them stop if it's due to traffic --

(f)  Subsections (a), (b), and (c) do not apply if the avoidance of conflict with other traffic is necessary or if the operator is complying with the law or the directions of a police

I know the police have had up their DON'T BLOCK THE BOX signs, but ... I don't think they can actually cite people for most cases of blocking the box.

The law allows people to stop "in the box" if they need to to prevent a collision, but it doesn't seem to require them to not go into the box at all if they don't think they can get out right away.

And on as Michael said ... in general, the police won't issue tickets after the fact for minor violations based on video evidence or even eyewitness testimony.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.81 KiB (Peak: 532.44 KiB) ]