#1 2014-07-19 14:02:22

Scott Newsom

LBL to Walnut Creek South?

What is the best way to get from the Lady Bird Lake trail to the start of the Walnut Creek Trail? I haven't been down to try it yet and would like to know before I go. Thanks in advance.

#2 2014-07-19 16:23:27

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: LBL to Walnut Creek South?

Good question!  I've been itching to try the new trail myself.

Here's what I assume would be a good route, but I haven't ridden every road on it so I can't say for sure:

• From Pleasant Valley @ Lakeshore, head north on Pleasant Valley.
• Make a right on Lyons Rd. (fourth right after 7th St.)
• When Lyons ends, you have to make a left on Gullett St., so do so.
• Make a right on Bolm Rd., cross Airport and Shady Ln., and then Govalle Park is on your left.  It's less than 100 yards from Gullet @ Bolm.

Let us know how it works out!

#3 2014-07-21 20:02:26

NadiaB

Hey Scott,
So if you're on the Boardwalk and riding eastbound, or if you're on the north side of the lake that's fine too. You can cross under Pleasant Valley in the creepy little tunnel (located south of the lake) or at Lakeshore Blvd and ride up the side of Pleasant Valley until you get to Krieg Fields.  Then go east into the field area.  There is a trail there, just north of the parking lot.  It winds around and provides access to the "secret beach." Keep going east along the trail (part gravel, part concrete).  You will eventually come to this random playground and a "fire lane."  Take the fire lane east keep going until you hit US 183.  Go north over the Montopolis Bridge on the sidewalk and it will spit you out at the final  phase of the Lance Armstrong Bikeway; which crosses over Cesar Chavez.  Once you get over Cesar Chavez, you can ride along 5th Street and go right on Shady.  Cross 7th Street and Airport and take Shady up to Bolm.  You can either take Bolm and turn into Govalle Park and use the little trail through the park, or you can stay on Shady until it turns into Jain and take a left at the bridge. 

Hope that helps.

Last edited by NadiaB (2014-07-22 00:27:23)

#4 2014-08-02 12:35:29

chavela

Riffing on the first route suggested: I suggest Tillery St. as a great n/s alternative to Pleasant Valley--low speed, and crosses under 7th st so eliminates that intersection as a hassle. On my daily work commute, coming from Krieg Fields, I go north on PV, cross Cesar Chavez, take the next right onto 2nd, then left onto Tillery.  Take that up to Lyons and proceed as suggested earlier.
Elizabeth Gray

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.75 KiB (Peak: 532.38 KiB) ]