#1 2012-11-05 21:36:31

badgnome

Getting to Circuit of the Americas*

I was thinking of trying to get there by bike for the first of the three days at least. Anyone else up for an early Friday 11/16 ride leaving from Central/East Austin?

FluxBB bbcode test

*Yes, I do realize(and relish) the irony of getting to a car race via my own power. After all autos are more useful as entertainment than as something practical.

#2 2012-11-06 00:07:23

Chris

Re: Getting to Circuit of the Americas*

How about leaving at 8:30am Friday (11/16) from One Texas Center, SE corner of Barton Springs & S.1st?

Bike Austin is organizing rides from One Texas Center at 8:30 & 10:30am Saturday & Sunday (11/17-18), and we've been talking about doing the same route Friday morning.  Anyone in?

Details:
www.austintexas.gov/article/formula-1-bicycle-commuting-guide
www.lobv.org/2012/10/24/bike-austin-to-lead-guided-bike-rides-to-the-circuit-of-the-americas-track/

Chris Riley

#3 2012-11-06 13:05:24

badgnome

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I will be going Friday too. Departure time is set but is there an organized ride back or will that be done informally?

#4 2012-11-06 18:14:53

NadiaB

I don't think that there will be an organized ride back.  However, it does seem like the schedule kind of lends itself to leaving at certain times.  The bicycle valet does close at 7pm.

#5 2012-11-06 18:53:18

longhorn93

I have been organizing these rides with the city. I will be leading the 830am rides to the track on Sat & Sun. If we want to do a ride at 830am on Friday, I could certainly be there for that as well. As far as returns, I am planning on the rides leaving no sooner than 1 hour after the last event of the day and no later than 7pm(hopefully earlier). You can contact me with questions if you wish: noni /at/ bikeaustin.org

#6 2012-11-15 18:16:55

DBM1946

I'm Dave; new on this board.

As I understand it, the bike parking is at Mora Park, 2-3 miles from the entrance.  The (city? statesman?) site says they will provide "one shuttle every half hour", so this may work or it may collapse.  We will see (I'm trying the shuttle from downtown tomorrow and not using the bike).

I've been to Grand Prix races in Europe.  ALL have bike access to the door and usually free parking.  Austin doesn't.  Further the City (and presumably the county working together) have unilaterally closed about 2-4 square miles to all walking and biking.  So unless you are part of the helicoptor or limo crowd or have one of the on-site spots, you have no way to get there except by bus- regardless of the city's "Bike to the GP" claim.

So the first thing I would hope is that someone without a ticket will circle the outside of the martial law, no-walking/no-bike perimeter to determine how large it is (no city or statesman maps gives an answer) and come back with a map.

Second I'd like to know what happens if you know someone inside- one of the homeowners.  Can they have bike visitors?.  How are the neighbors doing?  Do they get passes to the house? If you live inside the area and buy a ticket are you allowed to walk or bike to the track?  If the answer is yes, can your friends go to your place and do the same?

This system discriminates against bikes.  We want the complaints from the bike community to be so loud and well directed at the city council that the Circuit will be forced to provide parking and a "walk in" option like the European tracks do (part of the track is outside the city but across the street from the entrance is part of Austin).

And are any bikers living inside the perimeter having any problems?

Dave

#7 2012-11-16 00:40:01

Chris

Update:  We're leaving from City Hall -- not One Texas Center -- at 8:30am Friday (tomorrow).  The rides on Saturday & Sunday (8:30 & 10:30am) will also be leaving from City Hall.

I wish there were a good route all the way to the track -- but right after Richard Moya Park you hit FM 973, a highway-speed road with one lane each direction, a double-yellow line in the middle, and no shoulders.  The route up to that point is family-friendly, but FM 973 is definitely not.  It's supposed to be redone in the next year or two, but for this year we decided the best option would be to make use of Richard Moya Park, a nice spot to hang out in.  The shuttle route from there to the site is on transit-only lanes, so it should be an easy connection.

Looking forward to the ride!  Come on out!

Chris Riley

#8 2012-11-16 17:10:02

damicoaustin
Website

Good to hear on this: "The shuttle route from there to the site is on transit-only lanes, so it should be an easy connection." I don't think this was communicated well, or I missed it. I'm thinking of taking this route just for the fun of it...not that I care about F1, but will be interesting to see who else is riding.

#9 2012-11-18 11:18:03

owlman

I rode to the track yesterday (but from Oak Hill... not the group ride).  BSS did a great job at the valet stand.  The Burleson bike lanes could use a good street sweeping in parts.

The shuttle wait was not too bad--lots of people leaving at the same time in the afternoon, one shuttle filled up but another came in 15 minutes.  However, traffic leaving the track was stop-and-go at times, and the shuttle tried to avoid jams and took a rather circuitous route to get back to Richard Moya Park.  Counting the wait I probably could have biked it faster! :)

It was disappointing that some of shiny new roads leading to the track had no sidewalks, shoulders, or bike lanes.  Also, the free shuttles (looked like old capmetro buses) that looped around the track were always packed and had a looong wait during the afternoon rush.  It's a long walk around the track if you need to get to the other side.  That loop road didn't really have that much traffic on it--if they let attendees use their bikes to get around the track and park near various turns/entrances that would have been excellent.

#10 2014-05-30 23:22:17

badgnome

I noticed they also had information for biking to MotoGP so I'm glad is not just F1:
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visit/bike-route

Now I'm wondering if they will still have the bike racks in the RV area for X Games or where they just temporary?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 551.77 KiB (Peak: 567.7 KiB) ]